Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

receive five bytes from one-byte data bus in one clock cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakesh_aadhimoolam

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I have one byte input bus,
I want to receive 5 bytes into an array of 5 bytes in one clock cycle.
Can anyone please tell me, if it is possible to receive more than one bytes into an array of bytes in one clock cycle only.
if yes than how to write VHDL code for the same.

You can double transfer speed on the same bus using DDR (double data rate). But it is impossible to get fivefold increase of data rate without having another clock.

Lets assume that you have a standard clock (system_clock) that synchronize data transmission on your byte-wide bus. If that system_clock have period T then we have to use another clock which period = T/5.

You can use PLL blocks for frequency multiplication.

Re: receive five bytes from one-byte data bus in one clock c

maksya said:
You can double transfer speed on the same bus using DDR (double data rate). But it is impossible to get fivefold increase of data rate without having another clock.

Lets assume that you have a standard clock (system_clock) that synchronize data transmission on your byte-wide bus. If that system_clock have period T then we have to use another clock which period = T/5.
i think it's the best way to do so & it's predefined in moduleware in VHDL tool under the name clk_div simply change the dividing ratio to 5

I Think The Easy Solution Is To Use 40 bit Bus.

I'd split those 8 bits into 4-bit data bus and 4-bit nibble address bus.
On the source side I'd start transfers with address 0 for the lower nibble of the first byte.
Next I'd send the higher nibble of the first byte with the address 1, and so on.
On the receiving side I'd use those addresses to steer received data to my array.
Sensing changes in the address you can recreate the sender clock.

OR.....
You don't even need the address bus if you send the data in the fixed order.
Just use one of the address lines to transmit your sender clock.

That's it.
The question is if you can increase your bus speed fivefold.

Regards, yego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back