Status
Not open for further replies.

MPTSheff

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to read in a data file to a spartan 3E starter kit using verilog. The file is simply a list of 8bit binary numbers (eg.11000011). I wish to read each line in one at a time, in order to activate the appropriate LEDs. The code I've written is listed below and uses $fscanf to read in the data. However, when I try to generate the programming file I get the error: "File argument of function $fscanf is not constant."

I am also unsure where exactly to physically place my data file. From the examples I've found eg. "in = $fopen("data.txt","r");" presumably this should be in the same directory as the verilog module file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code Verilog - [expand]
module inputdata(
  output reg [7:0] leds,
  input wire clock,
  input reset
    );

integer in, line;
  reg [47:0] din;
  reg [23:0] state;

initial begin
     in = $fopen("data.txt","r");
  end

always @( posedge clock or negedge reset) begin
    if( reset == 1'b0 ) begin
       state <= 24'b0;       // Allows the change in LEDs to be seen 
        leds <= 8'b0;
    end else begin
       state <= state + 24'b1;
        if( state == 24'hFFFFFE ) begin
          line = $fscanf(in, "%b",din);      // reads in value to be set to LED
        end
        if( state == 24'hFFFFFF ) begin
          leds <= line;                          // sets LED value
        end
     end
  end

endmodule

Last edited:

$fscanf is not synthesizable. It is used for testbenches or behavioural models.

If you want to transfer data from a PC , you will have to create a hardware interface in the FPGA that can pull data from the PC and software in the PC to send the data to the FPGA. IIRC the Spartan boards have a USB/UART chip that you can use. You would design a UART in Verilog that talks to the USB/UART device amd then use a PC tool like Hyperterminal or TeraTerm to send the FPGA the data. The USB/UART device will look like a COM port to the terminal emulator.

r.b.

HI.I want programming synthsizer si4136 with fpga. but I dont know how can I start?the si4136 has three pin for programmig, sclk and SEN and SDATA. IF I DESCRIBE it operation:
when sclk event and sclk=1 and SEN=0 the sdata IS ACTIVE and with edge up sclk=1 a bit of sdata transfer to internal register of si4136.if I want to programming for example reg1 and reg3 and reg6(when is RF operation) .how should I do?
sclk(cycle time)=40ns(minimum)
SEN(PULSE WIDTH)= 10ns(when SEN=1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…