Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC delay capacitor discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaoz

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

This is a simple RC delay circuit. Only problem is what is the way to make the capacitor discharge when the power is removed ???. Using a resistor would be a very slow way to discharge the cap.

rcdelay_schematic.png

A common trick is to connect a diode across (in parallel with) R such that it is reverse biased in normal operation. For example: if V is the positive supply in your schematic, connect the anode to Vc and the cathode to V.

When the supply voltage is removed, the diode becomes forward biased and the capacitor C rapidly discharges via the diode [as it attempts to drive the supply and power the rest of the circuit].

The traps to consider with this simple approach are:
* C only rapidly discharges down to the forward voltage of the diode (~0.6V for silicon, 0.3V for schottky)
* The reverse leakage current through the diode D can swamp the current through R - especially if R is big, the temperature is high or D is a schottky.

A common trick is to connect a diode across (in parallel with) R such that it is reverse biased in normal operation. For example: if V is the positive supply in your schematic, connect the anode to Vc and the cathode to V.

When the supply voltage is removed, the diode becomes forward biased and the capacitor C rapidly discharges via the diode [as it attempts to drive the supply and power the rest of the circuit].

The traps to consider with this simple approach are:
* C only rapidly discharges down to the forward voltage of the diode (~0.6V for silicon, 0.3V for schottky)
* The reverse leakage current through the diode D can swamp the current through R - especially if R is big, the temperature is high or D is a schottky.

But i don't see how this will work if a switch was used between V and the power source supplying the V. The circuit would be open and the capacitor wouldn't be able to discharge. Please correct me if i am wrong.

You're correct! It won't work :)

The arrangement I described is commonly seen on microprocessor reset circuits, power supply soft-start networks etc. If there's a switch imposed between V and the power supply you'll need something else entirely - perhaps a transistor across C, controlled by the same thing that's opening/closing the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back