Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about NAND gate at WR in this ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahcheong

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
some question to ask

from the file i attached, anyone know about how does this ADC work??

and what is the use of the NAND gate at WR???

then what is the voltage that used at pin 9 (is it 6V) if VSS is 12V???

thank you~~

Re: some question to ask

There are a couple of things that can be more the less identified:
- the nand gate with resistor and capacitor form an oscillator .. see picture below ..
- voltage at pin 9 will be 1/2 of pin 20, but how high is the supply voltage one can only guess - maybe 5V ..
- 12kΩ and 150pF could be RC components used by the internal oscillator ..
- there are 8 outputs - most likely this is 8-bit converter ..

It is possible that each time the WR input is pulled-down by the output of the 4093 Schmitt triger gate the input analog signal is converted and the outputs are then written with the result of the A/D conversion ..

And that's about it .. the rest is just guessing work ..

Regards,
IanP

some question to ask

"the nand gate with resistor and capacitor form an oscillator" means the 4093 NAND gate is used as oscillator????

Correct, an oscillator can be build from one 4093 gate .. see details below ..

Regards,
IanP

so in the design i attached, what is the function of the NAND gate to control the ADc??

Another design is attached, what is the function and operation of the CA3130 and 40106???

Hey,
Can't say I'm 100% sure about this but I think the NAND gate acts as an embedded oscillator,
the voltage at pin9 is ½pin20 and input voltage should be a standard value which would be 5 or 12V though sometimes 15V is also a standard input for an IC, try simulating and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.