Question regarding delaying signal with FPGA in VHDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noloser

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is the "after" operation of VHDL synthesisable into a actual hardware design or it was only be used for simulation modeling? let say, if i write:
a <= b or c after 20ns;
will the synthesised hardware actually update the output after (appx) 20ns after a change in inputs or it will just use the default hardware delay and ignore the "after" operation.

please help me in this as i need to create a delay modeling on my design to meet the timing constraint on the interconnected ICs, so i need a good way to model signal delay with VHDL which actually can be synthesis into a actual hardware.

Thank alot for any help!!!

No delay is synthesizable as far as I know. The delay in the implemented design depends on the target chip, and on placement and routing of the design elements within the chip. Delay statements will probably be ignored/discarded at synthesis.

If you need to match the timing spec in real hardware - you will need to add timing constraints into your VHDL code or constraints file. Check with your synthesizer manuals how to specify timing constraints.

noloser

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank for your info, at least i won't waste time write a code that end up not working in the hardware. can time constraint be different for different module within a single project?

Status
Not open for further replies.