Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Xilinx vs Lattice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_shark

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilix vs lattice

Hello ,

Would you please share your experience regarding Lattice in general and EPC2-50 specifically and compare it with Xilinx (s3-4000)? The project needs to be run at 160 - 200 MHz, need various IO standards, and needs to use parallel SRAM. I am interested to know if there is any reason why I should not go for Lattice...

The following are the parametes that I am interested for comparison:

-Speed
-CUstomer support
-Avaiability of IP
-stabiliity of toolchain
-any other issues

I look forward to hearing your feedbacks,
Thank you in advance,
Regadrs - TS

Hi T-S,

It's hard to compare specifics of a project without knowing the details of the project. So I will not comment on design specifics like speed, RAM, LUT needs.

In general I found that the Lattice folks are fighting for every FPGA design, and are somewhat more technical oriented than the Xilinx folks. (they had to compete with superior devices from both Altera and Xilinx).
The toolchain (ispLEVER) is quite good, but maybe a little bit less mature than Xilinx's.

The number of IP block available on their web is continuously growing. Depending on what you need there are some reference design (incl. VHDL and/or Verilog) available for download. The new IPExpress IP integrator supports parametrisation of the downloadable IP (even the one you need to buy). A built in counter disables the IP after a while (Reset & restart).

The ECP2-50 is their newest 90nm device and I'm not aware that the device is allready available in the software (that might be a downturn for your project). However, Lattice can provide a control pack to enable this device I assume (I did this a year ago with their MachXO devices and was satisfied with this option). Therefore, you will need to contact them and give some details about the project timeframes, etc.

Downturn:
Xilinx is the FPGA leader and probably will have next generation parts available in the near future on 65nm that will outperform the ECP2 devices. (Xilinx is however announcing well in advance).

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply to my inquiry. I found working with Lattice toolchain quite easy. Maybe I can ask one more general question from you:

Is ther anything that Xilinx can do and Lattice Can't? or vise-versa?

This woiuld be great help for me...
I thank you again.
Regards -TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back