Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about synthesis for FPGA and ASIC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexter_ex_2ks

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello , I have a few questions:
1. Is there a difference between ASIC and FPGA synthesis ? (I know the differences between these two I.C.-s but to be more specific, from RTL to gate level,the compiler will synthesis in two different ways dending upon resources from the IC in the FPGA case?)
2. I've downloaded iverilog and vvp and gtkwave, my question is when I do the synthesis ( with -S ), I'll get a net-list, haw can I read this net-list more easily, is there an application (I need to see the schematic after synthesis), for study purpose.
A know that there is a trial from Xilinx, but but I'm low on resources, and that program needs ≈ 5GB hdd space. (more questions to come....)

Thanks in advance 2 all !
HAVE A NICE DAY !!!

Dexter :)

dexter_ex_2ks said:
Hello , I have a few questions:
1. Is there a difference between ASIC and FPGA synthesis ? (I know the differences between these two I.C.-s but to be more specific, from RTL to gate level,the compiler will synthesis in two different ways dending upon resources from the IC in the FPGA case?)
Yes - you'll need different tools.
FPGA synthesizers target LUTs and the odd macro (RAM, multipliers), ASIC synthesizers target standard cell libraries. Also, in ASIC synthesis, you may want to perform scan insertion, which you don't need to do for an FPGA.

you can view the schematic in debussy .. after loading netlist and corresponding libraries....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back