Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about rect () function

Status
Not open for further replies.

markwilest

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

For what range of t is x(t) = rect [(t/T)-(1/2)] equal to one ? Like for exapmple rect (t) = 1 for |t|<1/2. Please help me to understand this. Thanks

Mark

markwilest said:
Hi,

For what range of t is x(t) = rect [(t/T)-(1/2)] equal to one ? Like for exapmple rect (t) = 1 for |t|<1/2. Please help me to understand this. Thanks

Mark

rect(t) = 1 if |t| < 1/2
so rect ( any number) = 1 if |any number| < 1/2

So if | (t/T)-(1/2) | < 1/2
then x(t) = 1 .

so | (t/T)-(1/2) | < 1/2 implies

-1/2 < t/T - 1/2 < 1/2 which implies

0 < t / T < 1 which implies

0 < t < T

so this function is simply a shifted rectangle thats only 1 if t is between 0 and T.
x(t) = 1 when 0<t <T . and x(t) = 0 everywhere else.

markwilest

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi note that \[rect(\frac{t}{T})\] is \[1\] for \[[-\frac{T}{2},\frac{T}{2}]\]. \[rect(\frac{t}{T}-1)\] is just shifted version of original signal \[rect(\frac{t}{T})\] by \[\frac{1}{2}\] to the left. So the signal will be \[1\] for \[[-frac{T}{2}+\frac{1}{2},rac{T}{2}+\frac{1}{2}]\]. Hope you got it.

thnx

purna!

Added after 47 seconds:

Hi note that \[rect(\frac{t}{T})\] is \[1\] for \[[-\frac{T}{2},\frac{T}{2}]\]. \[rect(\frac{t}{T}-1)\] is just shifted version of original signal \[rect(\frac{t}{T})\] by \[\frac{1}{2}\] to the left. So the signal will be \[1\] for \[[-\frac{T}{2}+\frac{1}{2},\frac{T}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}]\]. Hope you got it.

thnx

purna!

Added after 1 minutes:

Hi note that \[rect(\frac{t}{T})\] is \[1\] for \[[-\frac{T}{2},\frac{T}{2}]\]. \[rect(\frac{t}{T}-1)\] is just shifted version of original signal \[rect(\frac{t}{T})\] by \[1\] to the left. So the signal will be \[1\] for \[[-\frac{T}{2}+1,\frac{T}{2}+ 1]\]. Hope you got it.

thnx

purna!

Last edited by a moderator:

One thing that I always keep in mind about the \[rect()\] function is that it can be constructed using two step functions. In other words,
\[rect(t) = u(t+1/2) - u(t-1/2)\]
So if you know how a step function works -- you know how the \[rect()\] function works. It is always good to decompose complex functions down to simpler functions to do analyze, find their transforms, etc.

Best regards,
v_c

Last edited by a moderator:

It is one for:
½-(T/2) e ½+(T/2)

Hi Ive got a rec function as well - how do I express this in unit step functions

x(t)= Π[(t-3)/6] + Π[(t-4)/2]

thanks

sssr said:
Hi Ive got a rec function as well - how do I express this in unit step functions

x(t)= ?[(t-3)/6] + ?[(t-4)/2]

thanks

For the first rect function you would get u[(t-3)/6 + 1/2] - u[(t-3)/6 - 1/2].
For the second rect function you get u[(t-4)/2 + 1/2] - u[(t-4)/2 - 1/2].
Just add these four step function and you should be set. Notice that all I did was
to use the decomposition of the rect function into the step functions as I showed
in my previous post. So rect(anything) = u(anything + 1/2) - u(anything - 1/2)
in your case "anything" was the function inside the parantheses of your rect function.
Sometimes the rect function is called "gate" function and denoted (as you have) by the Greek uppercase letter pi since it looks like a gate.

Best regards,
v_c

Status
Not open for further replies.