Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about planar inductor design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifelix

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
planar inductor design

Hi,
I'm interested in design of planar inductors on FR4.
I need it because I'd like to develop matching circuits with planar passive components instead of chip components.
The problem is that if you want to define a given value of inductance by means of an analytical process it's too difficult.
My question is: Is there anyone who knows if exists some program which given a value of inductance determines the geometry dimensions of the planar inductor automatically?
What's the fastest way to implement a planar inductor with a predefined geometry given a value of inductance?
I don't think that implementing a casual structure in HFSS and starting to simulate to extract L value would be an intelligent approach...
Thanks in adv..

planar inductor

hi,
i think there is some software from UCberkely. (sorry forgot the name). Or you can see Thomos lee's book
cv

Added after 2 minutes:

i think that softwares name is ASITIC

design planar inductor

Hi,
i don,t think it is difficult doing it with HFSS.
alternatives are:
ADS momentum.
Ansoft designer.

Not sure if this is what your talking about, but a simple calculator will do that for you. shorted stubs is
XL = Zo (of trace) * ( Tan *wavelenght-in-degrees).

This math is good for <90 degrees.
Open stubs exist as inductors only after 90 degrees (just subtract 90 degrees from the equation).
Normally, I use less than 90 because of the size of the stubs.

Hi, ifelix:

The SpiralSyn in IE3DLibrary from Zeland will achieve what you want: Given the L value, SpiralSyn will synthesize the dimensions of the spiral. It is driven by full-wave EM simulation engine. You can give it a try (www.zeland.com). I am from Zeland. Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back