Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about connecting 12 V fan to a digital set top box

Status
Not open for further replies.

learntofly

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys nice to meet you all,

Sorry for asking this really silly question but here goes.

I want to modify my digital set top box by adding a 12v fan to cool the thing. I know i need to tap +12v from somewhere out of the PSU (I have a very basic diagram that should help me locate that).. my question is where does the other lead go.. Does the whole thing share a common ground i.e. everything connect to the one -ve point... can i just connect the negative wire to the case or do I need to find a specific point.

Also not directly related but if someone was to connect up to a +12v and a -12v would that give 24v or does the -12v just denote that it s the other contact for the +12v Thanks

Hope someone can help?

--
Regards,

Re: Dumb Newbie Q

hi,

you need to connect one lead to +12V, and the other lead to the common ground of PSU. Just make sure that you do not connect +12V to the ground directly, otherwise the PSU will blow or will just don't work if you are lucky.

You can connect the -12V across a load and the other end to +12V to obtain 24V. Again, make sure that +12V can give enough current. You can get 24V as long as your ground is with reference to -12V.

regards.

learntofly

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Dumb Newbie Q

Thank you for you help on this. It clears this up now. Cheers,

--
Regards

Dumb Newbie Q

dude, i would recommend you to connect leads by first checking the V by a DMM this way you wont short it and will be able to detect the common groun and your desired V point.

And there is POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE of 24V between -12 and +12 volt, so in lehman terms -12V is the other equivalent side of +12V for electrons

Status
Not open for further replies.