Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamshi999

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.. i doing a project in which i am thinking of replacing typical open array antenna with a parabolic antenna. can i do that?....if yes can anyone tell me were to start..?..thank you

Hello,

I guess it can be done. But firstly, you should know the gain etc parameters of the array and see why they were used in the first place, is there any size limitation of the antenna in your application etc.

Once you have done that read about parabolic antennas and compare the two antennas. See if you can still replace the old one or not. If yes then refer books like

"Antenna Theory by Belanis" and use softwares like HFSS or Feko to develop it.

Thanks

vamshi999 said:
hi.. i doing a project in which i am thinking of replacing typical open array antenna with a parabolic antenna. can i do that?....if yes can anyone tell me were to start..?..thank you

open array ? as in yagi or co-linear ?

telling us what frequency you are dealing with would also help
below 2GHz a yagi array will produce gain easier and with a physically smaller
and lighter antenna system.

above 2GHz and a 1metre and up diameter dish start producing gain much easier

Dave

MobiNaz said:
Hello,

I guess it can be done. But firstly, you should know the gain etc parameters of the array and see why they were used in the first place, is there any size limitation of the antenna in your application etc.

Once you have done that read about parabolic antennas and compare the two antennas. See if you can still replace the old one or not. If yes then refer books like

"Antenna Theory by Belanis" and use softwares like HFSS or Feko to develop it.

Thanks

yes there is a size limitation.. the parabolic dish antenna which i am trying to use is 61cm in diameter, has 4 deg beamwidth and the freq is 9GHz

Added after 3 minutes:

davenn said:
vamshi999 said:

open array ? as in yagi or co-linear ?

telling us what frequency you are dealing with would also help
below 2GHz a yagi array will produce gain easier and with a physically smaller
and lighter antenna system.

above 2GHz and a 1metre and up diameter dish start producing gain much easier

Dave

the radar which i am working on is a pathfinder marine radar which works in the freq 9GHz. i am thinking of replace the array antenna on it with a parabolic antenna..

Status
Not open for further replies.