Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quartus Linux vs. Windows Versions: Different Error Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklikeroomys

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am using Quartus 9.0 SP II Subscription edition to compile a project. I have installed the Windows version in XP, and the Linux version in Ubuntu.
When compiling the project in Windows, it completes successfully. However, compiling the exact same project in Ubuntu, I get the following error:

"Error (10414): VHDL Unsupported Feature error: cannot synthesize non-constant real objects or values"

I then installed the Windows version in Ubuntu under Wine, and the project again compiles successfully.
Are the Windows and Linux versions of Quartus incompatible? Am I missing a setting somewhere in the Linux version?
Please help.

Thanks

Are you 100% sure the code is identical? that error will occur when you try and use real types in your code.

Yes the code is 100% the same.
The entire project is under version control so I would know if something has changed.

well, first question, do you have non-constant real types somewhere? using a signal of type real is not allowed. Otherwise, you may need to take it up with altera mysupport.

Sorry for the late response, for some reason I don't get email notifications any more.

Yes, we do have real values assigned to signals; first, we define a variable such as:

constant VARNAME : real := 1.0 * n;

And then later on (and this is where the error occurs in Linux only, not in Windows), we use the variable such as:

signal SIGNAME : real := VARNAME;

well theres the problem. You cannot use real types for signals in a synthesisable design. CONSTANTS are fine as long as they ONLY handle setup (eg generate statements, memory values or initial values for signals - but the memory/signal values must map to a bit type eg std_logic_vector).

- - - Updated - - -

and pedant mode - a signal is not a variable. It is a signal.

Thanks, what you are saying makes sense.

Firstly I will have to find out why we are using it this way in our designs, and secondly why the Windows versions of Quartus do not have a problem with this.

it might just be a case of where the code is checked. Ive generally only used quartus windows, and I knows its been generally good at ignoring stuff that does nothing, so if it goes nowhere, maybe it just ignored it. THe linux version might have a stricter VHDL compiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back