Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] QR Barcode reader with PIC16f877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdo.medo1000

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all ,
I hope a good and safety day for you,

I'm working on a Door Lock system project with RFID module using Pic16f877a and I want to add QR reader to my project and make different QR codes and sore their information and when the users show their QR code the door should opens !,
Actually I made the project except this QR feature and I have searched a lot about how to Interface QR codes into my project and I found that I can use "ESP 32 cam "module but I couldn't make it work so I'm looking for other ways to add this feature to my project ,
is there any barcode reader can I use with Pic16f877a and its library available on MicroC Pro ?
or what should i do ,
I'm looking forward for your advice

Thanks,

I'm not clear exactly what you are after here.
If you have a separate QR scanner that has an I2C/SPI/UART/whatever interface then yes you can use the PIC16F series devices. Just connect to the appropriate interface module and interpret the values being sent by the reader. There may or may not be libraries but the hard(er) part will be interpreting whatever the reader sends - interfacing is generally very straight forward.
However if you are trying to connect a camera and do the image processing of the QR image on that MCU then you are going to struggle - not enough data memory, not enough FLASH etc..
Why did you not succeed with the ESP32? That would probably be the way I'd go if you have one.
Susan

Hey all ,
I hope you are doing well and staying safe during this pandemic,

I have posted before that I'm working on a Door Lock system project with RFID module and key pad using Pic16f877a and I want to add QR to my project .
after a saw the answers I did not know actually what to do for that I started to search on internet about how could add QR reading future to my project and i finally got those choses

1.using ESP-32 CAM
-issue : how can I store many of QR codes on it ?

2.Using a QR reader with UART
-issue : but I have already used my UART ports to interface the RFID module is their any way to use the UART ports for 2 modules ?
and in this way how I can store my QR codes ? can I use external memory ?

3. using Zbar library with any Webcam
-issue : I found this open-source library but I do not know how can I use it with my project which is a library to read the QR code with normal web cam
I liked this library and I want to use it may you please guide me about how I can use this library with Pic16f877a or with any another MCU and also how can I store the QR codes in the project .

I attached my circuit diagram which shows the connections with my microcontroller to show you which ports I used and which ports are free.

I write my code on MicroC.

I'm looking forward for your advice

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-06 112617.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-06 112617.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 182

Your post is confusing two issues. The PIC alone is not capable of reading QR codes simply because it can't easily interface to a camera to view them and the limited memory space wouldn't allow you to process or compare the code data.

An ESP32 should be able to do all the work, it can interface with a camera and has sufficient speed to process QR codes and store them. It should also be able to interface to a keypad and RFID reader at the same time.

The QR code image isn't stored, it is read and the data extracted from the image is stored, this greatly reduces the memory you need. The ESP can have its memory partitioned so some works like EEPROM for storing codes you want to compare. QR code data is similar to normal text strings.

You can make a hybrid system, using the ESP-32 CAM to read the QR code and convert it to serial then feed the data to a PIC and do the remaining functions there but why not just use the ESP32 for everything. It has two (and a partial third) UART and some spare pins for the keypad and other uses.

Brian.

Thank you Mr Brian to replaying ,

I have to use PIC16f877A as a main components because my advisor asked me to to use it (obligatory) but no problems if I use any another components with it ,
you answer was very helpful for me and I will be grateful to you if you guide me how to get ESP-CAM partitioned and also how cam I make hybrids system to read the QR code .

Abdo,

Status
Not open for further replies.