Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Qestion: Place and route of 100 identical modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

scscsc

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am doing the layout of a chip, whose main part is a network of 100 identical modules (just like a memory). I have the layout of the module and I put the pins carefully so that the 100 instances can be put next to each other. The communication between neighboring instances are realized by abutment without routing. But all the instances share the same clock and enable signals, which are input ports of chip and cannot be connected by abutment, because it need a balanced distribution.

Now for the place and route of the top chip(the network), if I connect all 100 instances, pads and some other small modules in schematic view by hand and generate a verilog netlist for encounter, then in encounter i also have to place them carefully by writing the coordinates of each instance in the script. but if i connect 100 nodes by abutment in virtuoso layout (we can create instances of 10 rows and 10 columns directly, which is easy), the whole network will be a block, I am afraid that encounter cannot route inside, right? ?

Can I place the 100 instances in Virtuoso and pass it to encounter for the routing? or is there another simple way? Thanks

Encounter can see metal layers and blockages. So if you have any spare space without routing blockages inside of these instances Encounter can place wires there.

Thanks jirika,

you mean I can place the blocks in Virtuoso and pass the unfinished layout (only placement) to Encounter for routing? but how does Encounter know the connection between some pins in the blocks (leaf clk, reset and connection with pads)? We should give Encounter a netlist, right? In this netlist, 100 instances and pads should be instanced? And what is the file format of the Virtuoso unfinished layout?

Sorry for so many questions at once.

Encounter can see metal layers and blockages. So if you have any spare space without routing blockages inside of these instances Encounter can place wires there.

You have to always import netlist into Encounter. It doesn't work without it. So place them in Cadence, power up the Encounter, import corresponding netlist and import already placed layout(like def file). Make cells fixed and you can try route it.
I've never tried that but don't see a thing why it wouldn't work.

Thanks! I will try it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back