Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM Generator for network avaialble indicator (heart beat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Thinkpad_

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am looking for a PWM generator to switch a Network indicator LED on once a second and stay on for a few ms. The LED wiil be powered by the output from the network status pin of a transceiver.
Hence when the network is available the LED will blink once every 1 sec to indicate a healthy network. when the network is off the LED is OFF.

Thnks,
TP

Why don't you employ a micro-controller?
It's cheap and work effectively. I think you can do your stuff easily with MCU.

Hi,
I think its a simple job for 555 with double, or switched, time constant/pulse width too... :)
K.

Re: PWM Generator for network avaialble indicator (heart bea

Thanks for the replies. i was lookin for a quick fix, like an iC that i cud just use as a switch. This unit goes in a production unit, so uc option will require additional overhead on the assembly line.

:)
your welcome!
If your goal is a pulsed modus(burst of some msec pulses) over i.e. a half sec if the network is on:
Build pls a 150-300Hz pulsegenerator with an 555, and with anoder (generates i.e. 1Hz) 555 gate it!
So will your eye a continuous light see for a half second, but the LED`s energy consume is not so high as if has a DC exitation... :)
Or it can be a 556_a 2x 555_ in an SMD 16 pin IC_ but Im really not a fun of 555!
The second half of 556 (the 0.5 sec gating part/1 sec astable) will you trigger with your "LED-Start/flash" signal.
I think; thes is similar as you can like :)
K.

Thanks for the reply. What i had in mind was to power the PWM generator by t he transceiver output. The LED will thus be ON for say 100ms every second

OK,
Then what you need is only a trigered/inhibited astabil multivibrator (with 10% duty cycle, but eventually you will have/need some more); an 555
(or simplest a 2 transistors multivibrator), wher you can gate/stop_or start_ with an external signal...
Here are some better apps to find: **broken link removed**
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.