Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Purpose of different layers in PCB design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty obvious, the question is what is exact meaning of each mechanical layer.
For example mechanical 1 specifies the dimensions of the board etc.

Oh sorry for that.:oops:
The meaning and use of mechanical layers is up to company's internal policy.
'Mechanical layer' is just a generic name, You change that to a more descriptive name.

Hope this time I got it. ;-)

It is possible to use some of that 'strange' layers to aid in some special functions.
For instance, I added this 'strange' Layer, only in the Bottom-side component Pad, used at Test-points.
At gerber generation, could be generated a map to that coordinates.

+++

I see. So, there is no global standard for those layers.
This explains why I couldn't find anything on the web :)

Mechanical Layer, besides for mechanical outline of the board, you can use it also for different indication. Say you want to keep a clearance of 4mm in between frame ground from other pins and traces, you could just draw a 4mm wide line in between using mechanical layer as an indication to keep the clearance.

Most of the PCB design software support "cut/subtract", therefore if there's a plane fill overlapped with this mechanical line, you can simply subtract it out from the mechanical line. It ease your day for keeping clearance just simply using mechanical layers.

Have a look at some IPC specs such as IPC-222x series, IPC-251x series etc there are numerous guidlines on the required information for the complete fabrication of a PCB and as such the required information you can put on the various layers.
I use mechanical layers mainly for the PCBs routing information, ie drawing the paths for the various routing operations during the fabrication assembly and de-panelisation operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back