Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

Pulse width measurement with 1 cycle or 1 tone wave ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewiz

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If we need to measure rise/fall or pulse width of device, we need to apply square or pulse wave from function generator.

Can I use 1 cycle square or pulse wave instead of continuous(CW) 1 tone wave from function generator ?

I want to get the pulse width(50%) of the diode limiting devices.

BradtheRad

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
To apply single pulses you can touch a wire against a battery, etc. I believe this will give the quickest change of state possible.

At first I was going to suggest a one-shot. However this means using devices that take time to switch state. So that doesn't necessarily provide a square waveform.

Likewise with a waveform generator set to 1 Hz. Not ideal.

hojongch

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
That means one shot is more desirable than continuous wave form to measure pulse width or fall/rise time.

To apply single pulses you can touch a wire against a battery, etc. I believe this will give the quickest change of state possible.

At first I was going to suggest a one-shot. However this means using devices that take time to switch state. So that doesn't necessarily provide a square waveform.

Likewise with a waveform generator set to 1 Hz. Not ideal.

bakupcpu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a clean one shot you can use a resistor with capacitor connect to either switch relay etc depending the source of the pulse if you have more detail on what you need please do so. Thanks!

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I don't know what "the pulse width of the diode limiting devices" means, I guess, also none of the other contributors does. So I don't think, that the answers will help much for your question.

Syncopator

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If we need to measure rise/fall or pulse width of device, we need to apply square or pulse wave from function generator.

Can I use 1 cycle square or pulse wave instead of continuous(CW) 1 tone wave from function generator ?
The only way I know of measuring rise and fall times is with an osilloscope.
With a single pulse you will find that very difficult indeed (unless you have a fancy digital one). If your instrument is an analogue one, the pulse needs to be repetetive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor