Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protect the contact of one relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkdelabaca

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Time ago I designed one circuit that can close one contact Normal Open using the protocol RS485. The board has worked very well but now I have problems with an inductive load (coil of other relay) of 110Vdc from one battery. The problem is that in some operations the contact Normal Open is short (the relay is broken).

In the photo you can see the image of the simplifier schematic:
**broken link removed**

The caracteristics of the contact of the reed relay:
**broken link removed**

Now I am thinking about using a transil to put it in parallel with the contact NormalOpen, but I have never used a transil. What type of transil you recommend? The Bidirectional Transil solve my problem? The reference BZW04-128B (bidirectional transil) with one Vbr = 143V is Ok for my design? https://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/2971/bzw04.pdf

The datasheet of the reed relay: **broken link removed**

Thanks!!

kkdelabaca,
The BZW04-128B should work as long as the 110V supply never reaches the BZW04-128B breakdown voltage when the inductive load is energized. If you can tolerate a slow current turn-off, you can simply use a forward diode across the load (anode connected to ground). I'm assuming that the 110V supply is positive. Otherwise, reverse the diode connection.
Regards,
Kral

Have you put a diode on the control side?

I can not put any element of protection outside of the PCB.

If I only put a diode in parallel with the contact, then the contact must be connected with polarity (the contact in parallel with the katode must be connected to the +). However, if you put a transil, the contact don't have polarity. Is right?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back