Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanx blueroomelectronics. when i load hex file. it aoutomaticly sets HS and WRT_ON, other OFF

HS_OSC should be on. Just open MPLAB and import the hex file. This will allow you to see the config fuse settings the ICD2 wants.

nothing changes:(. i got this mesages in mplab 6.10

Auto-connect not enabled - Not connecting (Try enabling auto-connect on the ICD2 settings pages.)
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0021: (CICDAPI::Connect) Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0021: (CICDController::Connect) Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Downloading Operating System
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0152: (CCommDriver::Receive) Failed to read all of requested bytes (0x0 of 0x2)
ICD0082: (CICDAPI::SendCommandAndReceiveResponse) Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
ICD0082: (CICDAPI::SendCommandAndReceiveResponse) Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0027: The selected baud rate is not supported by your system. Chances are it will work anyway, but if persistent communications occur, consider switching to a lower baud rate.
ICD0021: (CICDController::Connect) Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Is it possible to use newer PIC16F886/887 for ICD2?

ntung said:
Is it possible to use newer PIC16F886/887 for ICD2?
This depends on the MPLAB, not the ICD2. Use the last MPLAB version.

What I mean is using PIC16F887 instead of PIC16F877 for ICD2 firmware.

Hello

I have made What we call 'PICs' ICD2 and is working smoothly on 16 and 18F.
Now I had tested it for Dspic 30F2010.

In MPLAB 8.1 it is not at all working for dspic- chip is not recognized-.

I have made two small dspic boards, just crystal and I/O pins to connectors.

Both boards work perfectly in MPLAB 8.1 with my original ICD2 from Microchip. But my clone even cant see the dspic.

But with MPLAB7.4 my clone detects one board while it can't with other board. But all works with original ICD2.

Is this 'Pics' icd cant do with dspics? if it is known to be working for dspics there must be some small inconsistency in data or MCLR lines in my case, which the original ICD can handle.

Any clues from those who have similer experience

regards

PICs clone doesn't work with low voltage devices, due to the missing output buffers.I have read around here that potyo's clone works properly with low voltage devices like PIC24, dsPIC, PIC18LF etc.

Sorry I haven't seen that. Do some measurements around mclr on the original and on the clone too, and compare them. What does MPLab report? Voltages? Self test? Errors?

MPLAB reports that chip cannot be detected. chip id is read as 0

Self test is ok. VPP I have set to around 12.90 volts (shown in power tab of ICD setings.

Thanks

I advise you to check out the dsPIC30F Programming Specification https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70284B.pdf.In chapter "11.0 ICSP MODE" there is a figure: "FIGURE 11-3: ENTERING ICSP MODE".
Measure your clone and the original too with an oscilloscope, especially on MCLR and VDD lines.Compare the results, and look for some kind of delay.
Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to Analise those issues.
btw programming specifications for dsPIC30F2010 is https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70102J.pdf

The problem had to be somewhere in the switching transistors section of my clone. MCLR and Vdd may not be in responding as per specifications.

Thanks a lot .will update on results.
btw this attached file is the ckt diagram i am using

Regards

One update.
My hardware seems to be partially ok.

2 times it detected chip and debugged. but again lost. no chance to loose contact. made on pcb.

Any ground issue?. sometimes ok, sometimes not. will any slight supply difference can cause this issue ?

regards

Did you place extra capacitors between the VCC and GND lines of the ICD? Because I don't see any of them on the schematic, but they are essential for proper and stable working.Place those 100nF capacitors between the PIC18F4550 and PIC16F877(A) VCC and GND line.
The other thing is that I have seen this Vpp switching mechanism on Lothar Stolz's ICD2 clone **broken link removed**, but he is using different base-resistors and transistors.Here is what he says about this Vpp generator mechanism:
The two diodes should be germanium or schottky type because of the lower voltage drop across them. The values of resistors together with the defined limited current amplification of the B-series transistors ensure that there will flow sufficient but not too high currents into the MCLR-Pin so the target's PIC won't latch-up.
If you use different types of transistors, you have to adjust R1 to R4. If you spend extra current limiting resistors (about 50Ohm) in line with Vpp/Vdd at T2/T3, R1 to R4 aren't cirital any more. You should be able to use 10K for R1 to R4 then.
So, check those resistor values, and try to use a resistor on the MCLR line, about 50 to 100Ohms to prevent the latch up.
Cheers!
P.S. By the way, thank you for the points.

levy_k said:
Did you place extra capacitors between the VCC and GND lines of the ICD? Because I don't see any of them on the schematic, but they are essential for proper and stable working.Place those 100nF capacitors between the PIC18F4550 and PIC16F877(A) VCC and GND line.

So, check those resistor values, and try to use a resistor on the MCLR line, about 50 to 100Ohms to prevent the latch up.
Cheers!
P.S. By the way, thank you for the points.

Thanks for the thread.I am looking into that- base resistors. i have introduced a 100 ohm in MCLR, but no use.

If I connect my original ICD, programe this dspic , remove it and connect this clone again , it will work for 1 minute. then back to old problem Wondering what is happening?

Regarding .1uF bypass I have already added them. Actually the schematic I posted in the original from net. I have added decoupling caps to them in my clone.

Thanks a lot
regards

I think I have found some clues.

When I use my ICD clone to debugg dspic 30F2010, the chip is stuck into somesort of a 'hanged' state.

PGC pins goes high whenever powered. No response afterwords. Even if power removed and applied. In this condition if I connect my original ICD and programe, chip will be back to normal. Again when I connect my clone chip will be detected and all ok. But if I programe using clone, chip again locks up.

You guys got the clue?

Please suggest, I am in severe pressure to solve this issue .

Thanks

First of all, get a scope or a logic analyser and check those MCLR, VDD, PGD, PGC lines.It could be a timing issue, but we can't go any further without those images.Capture the original and the clone signals too, and there will be your answer.
Or try to build a new Vpp generator circuit and take a chance to add the output buffers too from Potyo's version.
Cheers!

levy_k said:
First of all, get a scope or a logic analyser and check

Ok. Will arrange a scope and see what is going on.

I have only a old ocilloscope, no storage. I think nothing can be done on that.
Let me arrange a DSO

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.