Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew.....thats fast blue...

Anyway thanks for the reply.

By the way just an info...Ive been reading a lot with your Inchworm (no +.......seems this is the one I get to assemble) & from your site regarding the Max232 that aint working. But with me it is working......MAX232cpe

My set up is a red fox notebook, Usb to RS232 converter (PL2303 chip from Prolific technology I bought it for around 6USD converted from peso) then the assembled ICD2 from the forum here.

Seems its not the MAX that is the culprit, as an observation my converter has two drivers (for XP)when I install the usb to Rs232 driver an error is prompted by MPLAB but as I replace the driver with plain PL2303 chip it works. HLT-40 chips from the other converter of mine do not work.

The 1 uf cap at the MAX232 section has no problem either when I tried to replace the 10uf.

Maybe I didnt get to buy your stuff but in return this is what I can help....hope you can revised the site right now.....this really depends on the driver of the chips.

Hope this helps you & the rest of the reader..although this is a little off topic.

Hi All,

I'm new user to this forum. I'm doing the ICD2 clone which is refer to the PICS rev B . But the i have encountered problem. Everytime when i want to connect, it will give me an error like below;

Auto-connect not enabled - Not connecting (Try enabling auto-connect on the ICD2 settings pages.)
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
...Connected
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
...Connected
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Can somebody tell me how to solve it?

Hi Pics,

Can you tell me how to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Hello there,
Well, I come here for a little problem.
I own an good old icd2 clone from sure electronic (Pic 18F4550 / PIC16F877), it works really great for all PIC I tried... except for PIC32...
I tried 3.3v PIC without problem but this PIC32 family didn't want to work... I always got error when trying to connect (error 12)
I searched over the net and didn't found anything about compatibility between icd2 clone and PIC32...
So, does it should works ? or should I have to buy an PICKIT2 clone for this ?
Thanks for your reply
Best regards

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I did know about pic32 and pickit2, (stupid) marketing problem...
But what about compatibility between PIC32 and clone programmer, i think about my icd2 clone... Is this normal that it don't recognize it ? Original ICD2 works with it...
And also, does pickit2 clone works with PIC32 ?
Thanks for your reply and sorry for my english
best regards

Thanks for the offer... but for the moment i really prefer making my icd2 works with PIC32, it's really appreciable to work with MPLAB and C32 (one key compilation, linking, programming, running).
But I'm not sure ICD2 clone are really compatible with PIC32, so is there anyone playing with PIC32 and ICD2 clone ?
Best regards

Hi All,

Thanks God. I have solved the problem. The Pics ICD2 clone is working now. A million thanks to Pics and all.

Hi Potyo,

I built ur ICD2 clone (the latest version) as well. The only different with ur schematic diagram is i'm using 180uH instead of 170uH. The inductor type i used is looked like a resistor.

Now I'm facing a problem where everytime plug in the usb connector, the USB LED will blink. Therefore, i decided to add a reset button follow by a 68ohm resistor to pin 1 at PIC18F4550 by referring to Potyo2 version.

After that, the USB LED will stop blinking after i press the reset button. Then the ICD2 will work as normal.

Can you tell me how to solve this problem? Will it caused by the inductor? Can anyone tell me how to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

20_KIM_00, I have the same problem you had above with PiCS board:

=> ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation

How did you solve it? I´m using MPLAB 8.20.

I tried to follow instructions from other posts about not connecting before downloading the OS for the first time, but the option to download the OS is greyed out, and appears only after connecting... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luis

Hi Ifchavier,

Did you add 4 capacitors on the PIC18F4550 & PIC16F877A at the pin VSS & pin VDD? I solved the problem by adding 4 capacitors for PICS board. hope can help you.

hi

i need a ICD2clone to program all microchip controlers with low voltage(3.3V) programing ( like pic 10,pic12,pic16, pic18,pic24series and dsp controllers.....)

this topic consists 63 pages

i and confused to find working ICD2 circuit and pcb and others.

any one please give total ICD2 colne project files and details ( including Original circuit and pcb and hex files........)

and also required pic Trainer (Starter kit ) circuit and pcb and manuals and example codes .......

any one please upload or give the links

Thank you

Regards
download_crux

download_crux said:
i need a ICD2clone to program all microchip controlers ...
any one please upload or give the links

hi MPi

thank you

i am download the icd2_rev1.zip

this is working low voltage programing ?????????

and also i need working hex files ( 16F877a and 18F4550 ) for your ICD2 clone pcb

regards
download_crux

Hello all,

I made a modified version of PICs ICD2. It is working great until I tryed program PIC32MX devices.

I get the mesage:
Updating ICD2 USB FW from version 0102 to 8102. Do not disconect USB cable.
ICD0289 - Unable to re-program ICD2 USB OS firmware.

After these mesages I need to reprogram PIC18F4550.

Some one faced it out before. Do you know what is happinig?

Regards from Brazil

Hi everybody,

Last year I build a potyo2 ICD2 (home made prototype), it works quite fine. Last summer, I build 2 potyo2 ICD2 (modified : added decoupling cap). PCB is 4-layers (internal layers = GND and +5V planes), components are all SMD. I think the hardware is ok.

EDIT : I successfully connect and rode a PIC32MX4.
Is successfully programmed a 18F4550. But I got a strange thing on dsPIC30F2010 :

Code:
Auto-connect not enabled - Not connecting (Try enabling auto-connect on the ICD2 settings pages.)
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
Target Device dsPIC30F2010 found, revision = Rev 0x1001
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 ready for next operation

// There, I clicked "reset and reconnect ICD2"

...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x40, read=0x0)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 ready for next operation

I can do everything I want, my pic is still "invalid". I have to power off ICD2, power off target and reboot MPLAB to get my dsPIC valid. Mysterious spirits are putting down my efforts...

EDIT :
- I tryed with the other ICD2 : it's the same
- I tryed with an official ICD2 (cypress version) : it works fine
EDIT2: same problem on XP and XP64

---

Something that can be usefull :
During my debugging steps, I first programmed the ICD2' 18F4550 with a code named "ICD2_18F4550_boot.hex". Sometime, ICD2 stop to works. When I rode the 18F4550 code, All 32 firsts lines are NOP ! I think something is writing FF at the 32 firsts locations...
Programming the 4550 with another firmware called "ICD2_18F4550_boot_Mclr_dis.hex" SEEMS to fix the problem. (differences : MCLR disabled, power-on timer enabled, BOD enabled.

I hope this advice will be usefull

--

Sorry for my english, I know that it's a pain ;)

SG61-addict said:
Something that can be usefull :
During my debugging steps, I first programmed the ICD2' 18F4550 with a code named "ICD2_18F4550_boot.hex". Sometime, ICD2 stop to works. When I rode the 18F4550 code, All 32 firsts lines are NOP ! I think something is writing FF at the 32 firsts locations...
Programming the 4550 with another firmware called "ICD2_18F4550_boot_Mclr_dis.hex" SEEMS to fix the problem. (differences : MCLR disabled, power-on timer enabled, BOD enabled.

I hope this advice will be usefull

--

Sorry for my english, I know that it's a pain ;)

i have same problem too when programming the 4550 with "ICD2_18F4550_boot.hex". sometime the USB LED is blinking or off, USB device unrecognized. are you sure that "ICD2_18F4550_boot_Mclr_dis.hex" is working without hassle?
sorry for my english :D

i have same problem too when programming the 4550 with "ICD2_18F4550_boot.hex". sometime the USB LED is blinking or off, USB device unrecognized. are you sure that "ICD2_18F4550_boot_Mclr_dis.hex" is working without hassle?

Actually it's exactly the same source code. Only the config bits are changed :

MCLR disabled (may be usefull)
Power on timer enabled (must be usefull)
Brown-out detect enabled (not sure it's usefull)

Try it!

Hi, this is my first post here. I had been reading the threads, very interesting, I built the ICD 2 clone. After reading this thread. Based on lothar's LM358 design for 877 and PIC'S FW for mclr disabled. It works fine, only some problems of connecting but connects after a procedure as in icd2 manual "without ext power" etc. My thanks to all the people who initiated this thread and participated in it to make it a success (nice teamwork).

01 Jan 2010 17:24 Potyo work on MPLAB 8.43 !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI all , I do a copy folder ICD2 from ver 8.00 to ver 8.43 and magic ...

MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Programming Target...
...Validating configuration fields
...Erasing Part
...Programming Programming Executive
...Verifying Programming Executive
...Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0x12FF)
Verifying...
...Program Memory
...Verify Succeeded
...Loading DebugExecutive
...Programming DebugExecutive
...Debug Executive
...Programming Debug Vector
...Debug Vector
...Programming Configuration Bits
.. Config Memory
Verifying configuration memory...
Connecting to debug executive
...Programming succeeded
01-Jan-2010, 18:16:35

MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Resetting Target
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Running Target

bye.

Hello,
CapBlack said:
01 Jan 2010 17:24 Potyo work on MPLAB 8.43 !!
HI all , I do a copy folder ICD2 from ver 8.00 to ver 8.43 and magic ...
have the same problem with my 4550 clone, ('atrel hi-z clone', no reply from author).
I need to work on pic32mx.
Copying icd2 folder from mplab 8.10 (last version with which it works) allowed it to work in 8.40, but it's the same unstable and slow as earlier.
pic32 support for icd2 is marked 'yellow' in mplab 8.10.
The problem is, that updating USB OS firmware (4550?) doesn't work.
Is there a clear solution what is preventing usb os update ?

Regards, Marek

Hello,
My ICD2 clone (PiCS (Rev C) ) is not reconized on windows 7 (64bits).
I have tryed to install driver, with 64 bits driver from MPLab 8.30 and 8.42 and it does'nt work with this two versions.

Does anyone has the same problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.