Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surface mount version of ICD2 Clone

I made a SMD version of the ICD2 Clone (PiCS Rev. C from http://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page) using TQFP packages.

The device enumerates and drivers install successfully. MPLAB detects the programmer and the yellow LED (BUSY) switch on but then it looses communications.

I double checked the schematic and layout and all seems fine. The pin numbers for the TQFP and DIP packages differ, so I assigned the functions by the pin name (ex. RA0). I don't know if the functionality of certain pins moved with the package change.

Why would MPLAB loose communications with the programmer. If needed I will provide the schematic an layout.

jaomiki said:
Does anyone have any experiences and knows whether ICD2 clone will work properly if I program both microcontrollers (18F4550 and 16F877A) with a JDM programmer which is a low-voltage programmer.
Judging by the scheme, PGM pin on 18F4550 is left floating, and the one on the 16F877A is used for LED_Busy. And because PGM pin cannot be used as I/O pin when programmed with low-voltage, everything but an LED should work fine. Still, I would be very thankful if someone who has tried this in practice would confirm my assumptions.

Thanks in advance.
I'm going to answer my own question from a few posts back.
Programmer WORKS. I programmed both PICs with a modified JDM (low voltage programmer) and everything but LED Busy works. I also had a couple of spare PICs (18F4550 and 16F877A) so I programmed them with a working ICD2, and now even the LED works. Yay :D

My ICD 2 Clone is working fine after downloading the firmware from MPLAB.

BUT 1 problem remains. All the LED's work fine except for the error LED (Tested the LED alone and the LED is working).

After looking at an original ICD2, the error LED is on the correct pin.

Anyone had the same problem and solved it?

Does any one here have a PCB layout made of potyo2 rev1 that is single sided and with thicker tracks?
I'm having a hard time with those thin tracks of the PCB on ICD2clone.com using toner transfer method.

Apparently my "brother" laser printer printer is no good for PCB's, or the drum is not good.
Anyway, I bought a Lexmark on sale for a third of the brother drum and the board is good now.

hi ,can some one help with this problem , i make the potyo ICD and ....

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
Target Device dsPIC30F3014 found, revision = Rev 0x1001
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 ready for next operation
Programming Target...
...Validating configuration fields
...Erasing Part
...Programming Programming Executive
...Verifying Programming Executive
...Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0x3FFF)
Verifying...
...Program Memory
...Verify Succeeded
...Loading DebugExecutive
...Programming DebugExecutive
...Debug Executive
ICD0161: Verify failed (MemType = Test, Address = 0x800280, Expected Val = 0x804003, Val Read = 0x800000)
ICD0275: Programming failed.
MPLAB ICD 2 ready for next operation

most all time i get this error , but if i wont only program the pic all is ok tks .

Hi CapBlack

Maybe the cable that connect the ICD2 and the target is too long (mine is 20 cm long).

Luca.

hi all again , no luca I have made 2 cables 25 cm and 10 cm bots same problem
take a look on the error the program pass but the debugger no ...

regards cap.

Hello I'm spanish and my english is bad, sorry.

I'm read a lot of pages of this thread because I'm looking for one version of potyo2rev1 on smd/smt version. It's exists?

I try made it for myself but I don't know for what change the bc327 to another on smt version and that value of the resistor of base.

In spanish:

Hola

He estado buscando por este hilo y en la busqueda del foro una versión del icd2 clone de potyo2rev1 en versión smd o smt. Existe tal cosa?

Estoy intentando tambien hacerlo por mi mismo en Altium designer pero no estoy seguro de por cuales transistores sustituir los 3 BC327 en version smt y sus resistencias de polarización de la base.

1 saludo.

Hola elmasvital te contesto en espanol para decirte que por la pagina 15 mas o menos hay una version smd igual que la ver truhole busca por alli , los transistores no son criticos podes usr el mismo circuito con todos sus valores solo smd
chau ...

CapBlack said:
Hola elmasvital te contesto en espanol para decirte que por la pagina 15 mas o menos hay una version smd igual que la ver truhole busca por alli , los transistores no son criticos podes usr el mismo circuito con todos sus valores solo smd
chau ...

In Potyo2rev1:

I think to replace the transistors BC327 by this smt, BC807. Datasheet here **broken link removed**.

You think that is correct?

En el Potyo2rev1:

Quiero reemplezar los transistores bc327 por el Bc807 Datasheet aqui **broken link removed**

Pensais que seria correcto? Logicamente tiene una potencia de disipacion menor pero segun el esquema no veo problema para esto.

Por cierto la Potyo2rev1 es la ultima version del Potyo no?

1 saludo

hi , i found potyo no work on MPLAB more than ver 8 ?

MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to MPLAB ICD 2
Target Device dsPIC33FJ32GP202 found, revision = Rev 0x3001
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Programming Target...
...Validating configuration fields
...Erasing Part
...Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0x5FF)
Verifying...
...Program Memory
...Verify Succeeded
...Loading DebugExecutive
...Programming DebugExecutive
...Debug Executive
...Programming Debug Vector
...Debug Vector
...Programming Configuration Bits
.. Config Memory
Verifying configuration memory...
Connecting to debug executive
...Programming succeeded
20-Aug-2008, 13:58:27

MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Running Target

best regards

Question ?

Sorry, I am new to this forum.

But why don't you just keep using the CY7C64613

There is still plenty of stock around :)

Thanks

Tom

EXPRESSTOM said:
Sorry, I am new to this forum.
But why don't you just keep using the CY7C64613
Read the first remarks of the topic, and look at the inside of an original new ICD2. :idea:

Hola a todos!
¿Alguién sabe cual de las versiones del clon funciona para dispositivos PIC24(3.3V)?

Hello everyone!
Does Anyone know which of the versions of the clone works for PIC24 devices (3.3V)?

I have made ICD2 clone REV 2 .
I put on the 16f877a and the 18f4550 the bootloader on the zip folder.
But it doesn't work.
The first problem is the white led (USB), When i touch the pin 1 the led will turn on and off (it doesn't turn on when i plug on the USB).
The second is that when I plug it to the USB nothing appear on the screen (the PC doesn't recognize the programmer).
What I have to do?
This is the screen displayed on MPLAB 7.60 when i tryed to connect

ICD0019: Communications: Failed to open port: (Windows::GetLastError() = 0x2, 'Impossibile trovare il file specificato.
')
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I hope I can help me.
Thanks ALex

Added after 4 minutes:

I missed to specify that is my only programmer.
The IC's were programmed by my friend.

I tried to read the forum...

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys who helped make the ICD2clone. It works !!
I've build "potyo2 (09/18/2006)" from http://icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page.

At first using MPLAB 8.10 I had problems connecting to the ICD2.

Code:
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready.

I had to go down to MPLAB 7.40 before my ICD2 was recognized and a firmware downloaded.

Now it works with all versions of mplab (7.40 and up).

I have the same problem ! But your solution don't work on my board. I installed MPLAB7.40 on an other computer, I get first :

Code:
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

And after download OS :
Code:
Downloading Operating System
ICD0255: Download OS failed.
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0029: Connected tool is not an MPLAB ICD 2:  Product ID = 0x0 (MPLAB ICD (1))
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I'm going to work on other projects. I have already my own offical ICD2, I just want to built some clones for a friend and an students association, but, in terms of $,

Official ICD2 price << The money I could win by working instead of debug clone :

More than 10 hours for the same result :
Code:
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

No motivation to continue...

I hope someone could help me. Nobody tried potyo2 on MPLAB 8.10 ???

SG61-addict said:
Nobody tried potyo2 on MPLAB 8.10 ???
I'm working with it under MPLAB 8.10. It must work with all MPLAB versions, because it uses the same firmware as official ICD2.

SG61-addict said:
ICD0029: Connected tool is not an MPLAB ICD 2: Product ID = 0x0 (MPLAB ICD (1))
There is a great chance that you have a short circuit or break on the wires between 16F877 and 18F4550.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back