Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with Xylo-L FPGA overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoSa

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
overheated FPGA?

Me and my college are first time users of programming a FPGAs. We have bought the already assembled card Xylo-L from knjn. It has a Spartan-3E FPGA among other parts. Somewhere during the process of handling this card something has gone wrong and now when we connect power to the card it gets really hot fast. We can still put in some simple functions into the FPGA, e.g. we can make a couple of LED glow and blink. This must mean that the FPGA is not totally crashed. We have tested to reset the card with the USB cable that's connected to the card.
When be put 3,3V to the card there is a current of about 900mA to the card, which is plenty when we expect at most 300mA.

We would be very happy if anyone can give us some idea of what's wrong and/or how we can test our card to find the problem, or maybe how to reset the card completely.

Xylo-L card:

Re: overheated FPGA?

earlier i faced the similar problem with fpgas,but my problem resolved when i removed PROM on board....some junk data going into FPGA from PROM on every reset ...but when i dump some program to fpga directly it use to work....I hope this may help...

Re: overheated FPGA?

Make sure you set all unused pins on the fpga as input tri-stated.

If this doesn't solve the problem then inspect all pins on the board and make sure there are no shorts anywhere. If there are any IC's in socket, remove all of these IC's to see if it resolves the problem. If so, put these ICs back in one at a time until you see the problem again. This may tell you which IC is causing this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.