Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with modelling a dipole antenna in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutspeeder

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am very new to the use of ansoft hfss. I have v10.

I am trying to model a simple dipole antenna, but so far I seem to be having more difficulty than I should.

I modeled a dipole with a short feed and tried to setup a gap source with a lumped port between the feeds, but I keep getting an error about port refinement. Any suggestions?

I've attached my file.

hfss dipole antenna

it looks like the feed might be the least of your problems. the radius of the dipole is too small (0.005mm?!) and that is not a good thing for simulation. do not try to actually model an infinitesimally thin dipole - use realistic numbers, balanis has info on how to correct the res. freq. for finite thickness. it will take forever for HFSS to simulate this case, if it can actually find the memory (and normally it shouldn't take more than 5 mins on an avg. PC to do a dipole with freq. sweep).

the radiation box doesn't have defined boundaries. by default HFSS assumes PEC on all boundaries, for a radiation problem (like the dipole) - you don't want that.

the lumped port is not defined correct. the patches that you draw for lumped port are not 'pads' - you draw a patch between two terminals (the two arms of the dipole) and then draw the int. line on top of it.

hope this helps.
SK

hfss dipole antenna design

You need also set up a boundary in order to simulate the radiation elements. Hope this helps.

hfss dipole antenna impedance

Thanks for your help, I've come a little farther, but still can't seem to get the results I want.

I have followed your advice and increased the radius (as well as the length), remodeled the port, and added the radiation boundary. I no longer get any errors, but I can't seem to get any results to display or solution data to show up when I analyze the setup.

new file attached

dipole simulation hfss

This is good dipole disign, as seems :idea:

dipole.hfss

Lens said:
This is good dipole disign, as seems :idea:

parfaitement !!!
25_1170783848.JPG

here is dia-ray :)

dipole antenna in hfss

I am using HFSS V9.1 and I cannot open the files uploaded here. Each time I want to open them, it says "File is locked". Is there a way to go around this problem?

Question: how do i represent a UHF RFID chip as a load in such simulation? I want to attach a dipole antenna to the chip. What type of port should I use?

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back