Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with guitar wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgon

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there.
I am having a minor problem with an electric guitar. My buddy was recently given a guitar by his uncle, who claimed he no longer has time to play it. He admitted though that it's not working and one would have to fix the electronics (also he admitted that he tried to do this himself, but he failed). I was asked to perform this task, so I looked inside, and it's quite overwhelming really. You can obviously see someone tampered with it and I'm no longer able to keep track what goes where. Could anyone help me with that wiring? It's only one potentiometer and for the moment the guitar doesn't produce any sound when plugged in.
I'm attaching a photo + drawing for better view
https://imgur.com/pI6irkr
https://imgur.com/9iS3eDz

The guitars I worked on (50 years ago - have they changed?), had a couple of pick ups that each were 6 coils wired in series, then there was a switch to select either set, then a volume control (like your one) and a simple treble cut tone control. The only tricky bit was to make sure that all the various bits of metalwork were "earthed" to the jack socket. Failing to do this would lead to high hum level.
Frank (bring back the 807)

The guitars I worked on (50 years ago - have they changed?), had a couple of pick ups that each were 6 coils wired in series, then there was a switch to select either set, then a volume control (like your one) and a simple treble cut tone control. The only tricky bit was to make sure that all the various bits of metalwork were "earthed" to the jack socket. Failing to do this would lead to high hum level.
Frank (bring back the 807)

I am quite aware of that fact. Pickups are wired to the switch, which seems not to have been rewired. All my concern is about which wire goes to which point of potentiometer

I think the jack socket is wired to the ground and wiper of the potentiometer. In the second image, the yellow is the ground side of the cable and the potentiometer. The pickups go between ground and the selector switch.

Frank - I doubt many of us remember the 807, even fewer it's big brother the 813. Those were the days!

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back