Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem with analog multiplexer

Status
Not open for further replies.

solace76

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,
I recently designed an 8 channel rtd temperature indicator. I used a common amplifier and philips make 74hc4051's to switch between multiple 3 wire rtd's. Now I have a common current souce and and then an amplifier stage which feeds into a 12 bit adc, what happens is as the ambient temperature changes the Ron of the 4051 change and introduces a error in the temperature display. Is there a hardware/software work around to this problem, I am using a microchip microcontroller 16f72, is there a circuit that I can use to eliminate this or modify the circuit.
I do not want to go in for the analog devices mux/switches as they are very expensive out here.

Best Regards,
Solace76

A primative way to solve the problem is to put the circuit in a thermally insulated box with a heater (big resisor) and a temperature control circuit. Keep the whole circuit at a temperature that is allways above ambient eg 50degC

Perhaps you could add a sensor the measure the temperature of the 4051 and compensate in software.

Status
Not open for further replies.