Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with 3rd gen. iPod as it now shows "do not disconnect" all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrguy8

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have a third gen ipod. i accidentally disconnected it from the pc usb, but it still shows on the screen "do not disconnect". now my pc doesn't recognized the ipod and it shows "USB device not recognized"..
does somebody know how to fix this?
thanks.

Re: ipod usb problem

thanks. but it doesn't work.

ipod usb problem

please help. my ipod is a third gen and it uses CY7C68013-56LFC a microcontroller for its USB I/O. i hope i just have to replace supporting components not that USB controller chip.

ipod usb problem

Did you see the following?

**broken link removed**

To be honest, I do not own an i-Pod myself. Therefore, I cannot only give general advice. However, until someone more knowledgeable responds:

1. Fully Charge the Unit.
2. Go to another computer that has never had the i-Pod installed and connect it via USB. If the computer recognizes it and starts asking for drivers, then the problem is the software installed on the original PC and not the i-Pod.
3. If the other computer also fails to recognize it, try another cable. It is possible that your cable is bad.
4. Try this i-pod hard reset:
http://www.activewin.com/tips/tips/apple/ipod/7.shtml
5. Call or e-mail Apple about the problem.

Note: USB is supposed to be a hot plug interface. Plugging or unplugging the device during operation is not supposed to damage the hardware. It the device is in the middle of an operation, a hot plug can corrupt data which is what I believe has happened.

Good Luck.

--- Steve

ipod usb problem

thanks. i'll try it.

banjo said:
Note: USB is supposed to be a hot plug interface. Plugging or unplugging the device during operation is not supposed to damage the hardware. It the device is in the middle of an operation, a hot plug can corrupt data which is what I believe has happened.

Good Luck.

--- Steve

is it possible that the rom data in the usb microcontroller be corrupted also?

jrguy8 said:
banjo said:

Good Luck.

--- Steve

is it possible that the rom data in the usb microcontroller be corrupted also?
CY7C68013 does not have internal ROM ... All the code is copied from external I2C EEPROM into its internal RAM at power-up and then executed from RAM. And I2C EEPROM is write-protected using WP pin in most case. So I don't think its corrupted.

banjo said:

Good Luck.

--- Steve

but why mp3 players and flash drives got busted when unplugged without safely removing it from windows?

ipod usb problem

The file allocation table, FAT, is a linked list. It is always stored on the hard drive or flash drive depending on the player. When copying data to the i-Pod or other mp3 player, the OS has to write new data to the FAT. If it is interrupted during this write, the FAT table is corrupted and the linked list is broken.
Typically, this is fatal to the firmware of the player and either a hard reset or reformatting the storage space is required. I had a player with a removeable flash card that this happened to frequently. The player put some special data into the FAT table. If I reformatted the card in a card reader or other device, the MP3 player would not recognize it. I had to format it with the player to make it work.
Because of the fragile nature of the FAT table, that is why Windows has all those warnings about turning off a USB device before unplugging it. Turning it off in Windows only insures that all writes to the device are completed and no application has open files on the device. It does nothing to actually turn off the hardware, it just insures that the hardware is idle before disconnecting.

---- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back