Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem solving HFSS Rectangular wave guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparnakrishna

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to hfss and try to simulate a rectangular wave guide on hfss.but unfortunately am not getting the xy plot correctly.Can anyone tell me how to select port and modes of excitation.

Hello Aparna

rectangular waveguide is the most simplest form of structures to simulate.All you gotta do is draw your waveguide according the dimensions,then assign the boundary conditions of the the four sides of the waveguide. then your two sides that are the supposed to port excitation sides have to be excited with waveports.

assign the number of ports based on the mode you want to see. and you should be fine

Regards
Chachito.

I made a waveguide too when I started. its best to solve tutorial and then an actual problem.

u can use antenna design kit for hfss 12 and 13 and it help u to design this

thankz,,,
but my problem is that how to assign port nd integration line.I followed the steps given in the manual.but my XY plot is not matching with that of manual.I dont know how to correct it.

my rectangular wave guide values
a=2.286cm
b=1.016cm.
I got it from manual.I tried each and every step according to manual.but i dont know why my XY plot is wrong.

Dear Aparna according to your dimensions its an x-Band rectangular waveguide. i have simulated a simple waveguide structure for its first Dominant mode.Please find this attachment appended for your reference should you need any further information.Please feel free to contact me

Best Regards
Chachito.

Attachments

• Waveguide.rar
    17.4 KB · Views: 109
1.ok am also designing the airborne antenna which is made up of the rectangular waveguides....
2. may be i can help u
there are numerous ways to make the rectangular waveguides in HFSS,few of them are;
A) just draw a rectangular box and give it a material like pec or anything,and suggest where u have to feed it from...normally they are feeded from the front face of the waveguide where a(width) and b(height) is located..just right click on that face,choose assign excitation,then choose waveport,now in the waveport window click on modes.here u can see the option of integration line below now give the intgration line from one edge to another...dont leave the line in b/w otherwise u ll get the error of invalid line
......NOTE:normally the intgration line doesnot have any effect,esp. in my case so u can ignore it...but for lumped ports it is necessary
B)u can also draw the wguide by making 2 boxes (one having large dimensions of X,Y,Z and one having less)and subtracting the one with small XYZ from the large XYZ..so a vacum will automatically be created ...now put a lumped port with the same method of intgration line on the front side.
3)dont forget to make radiation boundary at lambda/4 on each axis(if working in far field)
4)by the way wat are u trying to make at the end of your project????

pls see this attachment.and suggest me an idea to correct this.
1.a=2.286cm
2.b=1.186cm
3.no of modes=4
4.I draw only one integration line.Is that OK?otherwise tell me how to select other int lines(its direction).
5.analysis freq=20 Ghz

Attachments

• hfss result.rar
    171.1 KB · Views: 96

wat r u actually trying to make??????
r u trying to make an open ended waveguide???
a slotted waveguide???
and wat are those things which u wud like to acheive at the end as a result means wat r the parameters????
ok now tell me have u used antenna design kit?????, its a kit in which u just put the values of ur waveguide dimensions and it simulates the correct results for u...

actually am new to hfss.so starting with small examples.but that also not working properly.S parameters am getting is wrong i think.
fc<6 ghz also am getting value.that also parameter on my Y axis is -ve.pls see d above attachd graph.

i have seen that word file...am not that expert that i just see the graph and extract something from them..
so send me .hfss file on my email so that i can check
and also try "antenna design kit"...it is a very useful software

Dear Aparna,i think Error is due to the fact that you might be using a lower version of HFSS,what version of HFSS are you using.if i check your file and save it in on me computer you wont be able to use it anymore because HFSS files are not backward compatible unfortunately

Best Regards
Sajid Mohammed.

am using both v10 and v11
In both same error.If u dont mind see the word doc and tell me whether the axis I have taken is correct ?and selection of wave port.

Dear Aparna

Your Waveguide is meant for X-band,v10 and v11 wont help you to run the file you will need v13 only or higher which is not yet in the market.Alrite let me have a look at it and will give you a feedback

Regards
Sajid Mohammed.

pls tell me about S parameters in rectangular wave guide.

Aparna

i Mean your waveguide is x-band which has nothing to do with the version of hfss. but i read something about you setting the solution frequency to 20 Ghz which is way out of the bounds of the waveguides characterisitic frequencies.

Just had a look at your file,i think you are not doing it right. which one's are your dimensions( i mean 'a' and 'b' dimension) they are in the YZ and XZ planes respectively. and your wave travels in the +Z direction. Right?

Let me know and i will comment ASAP

Regards
sajid Mohammed.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

And if what i am assuming is right, your waveport should be in the axis on your wave travel. which is Z-direction,while yours is on another plane. and for some reason the dimensions are not in right propotion i think. but then just looking into the picture you cant make up the data properly

Regards
Chachito

both a and b in same plane-yz
and took direction along z axis.
pls give me an idea to correct.

Attachments

• hfss result.rar
    219.1 KB · Views: 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com