Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply by a 3.5mm jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgz

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i want to power my board using a jack. Do i need a protection circuit or any additional circuit??
I dont know what will happen if i, during the connection, touch the ground which is first on the female jack with the 5 volts which is also first on the male connector.

Hi,

Not the best way to connect any psu to a circuit.

Use a low cost Power Plug and Socket designed to avoid just that problem **broken link removed**

I chose this connector because of it's shape, i can turn the connector without losing connection. I might use a power jack or a switch and turn it on after i plug it.

It sounds as though you're using a phone plug design. If you touch the +5V tip, by itself, to the board ground, it should not be damaging. You're not creating a circuit at that instant.

Notice that you can short circuit your incoming power using a phone plug. This happens momentarily if both the plug tip and barrel contact the ground ring.

A coaxial power plug is typically used (see link in post #2). Like a phone plug it also can be rotated without losing connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.