Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power calculation in VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrowspace

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I calculate power in my VHDL design ?

Power used by your VHDL=0.

VHDL is code. Maybe you'd like to calculate the power in your HARDWARE that's RUNNING that code? FPGA Manufacturers provide tools for calculating power based on frequency, number of toggling elements, etc. It's not that simple.

I have design a adder in VHDL , I want to know the power consumption of it, their too many paper on internet providing low power adder, but not providing information how they calculate power.

Hello Arrowspace.

It entirely depends on the device you are implementing the VHDL code in.

For example if it's a xilinx part you can use xilinx power estimator or if it's a newer part you can use Vivado power analysiser tool.

All you need to do is provide a synthesised netlist, ambient temperaturs, toggle rates of io pins etc etc.

In vivado you can add this information via the post implementation ".xdc"

Basically the tool will see how many lut/mux' or whatever are required. It will then calculate the power consumed with the components based on a specific duty cycle(toggle rate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back