Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reporting Power in ICC

Gnohz

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am currently engaged in a digital chip design project and need to assess the chip's power consumption. I've already gone through the IC frontend flow using DC and have experimented with the report_power command in DC. However, given that my design incorporates some large MUXs, I am contemplating the use of ICC/ICC2 for completing Place and Route (P&R) and obtaining a more precise power consumption estimation.

I have a few specific inquiries:

1. Is the power consumption data obtained from ICC likely to be more accurate compared to that from DC?
  2. In DC, I can specify the switching activity using set_switching_activity and by setting power_default_toggle_rate. I understand that ICC also offers these commands. However, I've noticed that when I modify the default_toggle_rate, the results from report_power appear unchanged. How can I effectively set switching activities in ICC?
  3. Apart from report_power, are there any additional commands or tools within ICC for power analysis?
I possess a fundamental understanding of digital chip design and familiarity with the ICC tool. Nevertheless, I aim to delve deeper into power analysis for this project. If anyone can share their experiences or provide resource links, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all for your valuable assistance!

Best Regards,

Last edited:
1 - yes, because routing is now present and the C/R properties of the wires are known
2 - the best way would be to use a real test vector like a SAIF or VCD file
3 - ICC also does rail analysis for IR drop. it also does dynamic power analysis. there is a lot.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back