Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Polarized capacitor simulation model for Proteus

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmsat13

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been trying to electrolytic capacitor models for Proteus but couldn't find any.
Please can someone here help me with this constraints?

Most commonly, electrolytic capacitors are modeled as ideal capacitors, means just ignore that they are polarized.

In detail, the question is which properties of an electrolytic capacitor you want to model additionally? If it's ESR, add a series resistor. Other parameters (leakage current, non-linear capacitance, behavior with polarity reversal are rarely modeled).

In DC circuit Sim, can the Ideal capacitor model in Proteus perform closely what I can actually get in real life with polarized capacitor?

I kind of doubt that Proteus will faithfully emulate the
"party popper confetti" and aroma of a hard-reverse-
biased electrolytic.

If you wanted to do the work of characterizing the
reverse DC and time dependent signatures of one
such, then it would probably become evident how to
make a macromodel that matches the low-current
reverse polarity behavior.

But you would be simulating something doomed to
fail in real life, so why?

Electrolytics have heinous ESL and not-great ESR
so an ideal capacitor model will be poor fidelity for
anything involving high frequency or high ripple
current.

In DC circuit Sim, can the Ideal capacitor model in Proteus perform closely what I can actually get in real life with polarized capacitor?
What's the capacitor's circuit function, which properties do you look at?

RC delay and rectified AC filter.

Most relevant real parameter for the filter capacitor is ESR, you can simply put in the typical ESR from capacitor data sheet as series resistor.

For timing circuits, capacitance tolerance and leakage current are of interest. Leakage is only fragmentary specified for real capacitors, respectively it's difficult to consider in a simulation. Best to avoid precision timing circuits with electrolytic capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back