Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pll phase-noise/ rms phase error

Status
Not open for further replies.

afz23

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a Phase-modulation scheme,rms phase error is very critical,it should be less than 2deg in most cases.

This rms phase error directly relates to in-loop phase noise of pll output.

while working with PLL frequency synthesizer, we come across two formulae to calculate phase noise:

1) in-loop PLL_PhaseNoise[dBc/Hz] = Noise floor[dBc/Hz]+ 10*LOG(Comparison Frequency[Hz]) + 20*LOG(N)

noise floor in this formula is synthesizer

2) phase-noise= reference phase noise + 20*log(N)

Now, the question is which formula to consider for comparing a measured phase-noise at PLL output,secondly the VCO
phase-noise is not accounted in above formulae, does that mean that reference phase noise or synthesizer noise floor control
the final phase noise? What if I use a VCO with better close-in phase noise,will I get any improvement in final phase noise,how do
I consider vco phase-noise this in above formulae?

eg. reference phase noise =-135dBc/Hz
Noise floor =-210 dBc/Hz
Fc= 10MHz
N=44
then from 1) PN=107 dBc/Hz
2) PN=102 dBc/Hz

Where as measured phase noise is about -90 dBc/Hz at 10 KHz offset for a carrier of 4GHz.
Why the measured phase-noise is off by 12 dB ? where to look for improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back