Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help explain this weird result in cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

maninnet

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have a filter, bandpass, center frequency at 100kHZ with gain about 120 V/V (from ac simulation), Vdd=3V.

I run a transient simulation with a sin input of 5mv and 100kHZ,

the first time i run 400us, the result is as expected. (normal.gif)
the second time i run 50us, the result is weird. (werid.gif)

please explain what is the problem?

Did you try changing the time step for the simulation? Maybe that will give the proper result..

i already use "conservative" in cadence, which has the best resolution

Hello Maninnet,
Could you post your BPF circuit, I can try the simulation myself.

i was told that this is due to the high gain (mine is 90dB) of the Opamp, and the transient step in cadence is not small enough to resolve it. I previously had similar situation with an a very high gain opamp when i sim it in transient (open loop, standalone, so i finally had to sim it in close loop to fix the issue), and got a similar explanation for that. But in my current case, i just don't understand
why increase the simulation time would fix the probelm. the two attachment are the simulation record correspondnig to 50u and 500u, and i highlight the crucial data inside, can you intepret why longer simulation time will solve the issue?

Somehow the simulation step might be affecting the simulation. You must try in a separate simulator like HSPICE. Also there is a good book by Ken Kundert SPICE for the IC Designer, I have not read the chapter about Transient Analysis yet, but I am sure the answer can be found there. But I think 1 quick thing to do is to try the circuit in another simulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.