Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pin pitch of MSOP package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Why do MSOP packages sometimes have a 0.5mm pin pitch, and sometimes a 0.65mm pin pitch?
Surely, and "MSOP" package must always have a certain single pin pitch?

For example of differences....
LTC1871 comes in 10MSOP and has 0.5mm pin pitch
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1871fe.pdf

MCP6L92T-E/MS comes in 8MSOP and has a 0.5mm pin pitch
**broken link removed**

Is one of the above datasheets in error regarding pin pitch?

Apparently, the 0.5 mm and 0.65 mm versions are well known (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronics_package_dimensions) and appears to correlated with the number of pins. If know the reason is important, looking up the relevant standard is probably the best way.

Several years ago, I made a PCB with what I thought was a "standard" SOIC pad arrangement. My part did not fit well (pitch was OK, separation along the long axis wasn't). When I checked the datasheet for my part, I found it was different. Since then, when dealing with SMD IC's , I always go the the actual datasheet to be sure the pads are proper.

John

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That is why we have the IPC-7351 specification and naming convention...
Look up "The CAD library of the future"
Names such as MSOP, TSOP etc have no defined relationship to pin pitch and never have done.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back