Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Picking a PCB layout software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerer73

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a hobbyist that's just getting into PCBs, and my current project is presenting a challenge for me. I have the need to place components in a semi-circular pattern. I have been using PCB123 by Sunstone circuits, but their method for doing such a pattern is giving me poor results for what I need. I have tried various different ways to come up with the pattern I need, but I have had no luck. I'm a Solidworks user, and I can whip through creating patterns on that, so I'm not sure if it's just my familiarity with their style, or if it's really that PCB123 is not able to suit my needs.

What are other options for free/inexpensive PCB layout that can do this, and that can handle a decent size board? (I've looked at Eagle, but unless you get up to the expensive version, it will not handle the size I need).

I'm using SMT components, and I'm looking to run 64 0805 size RGB LEDs in a semicircular pattern of approximately 260°. When I try creating a footprint in PCB123, I can make a good pattern using holes, but not pads.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help with picking a PCB layout software

Can you draw a circle with lines extending from the centre in solidworks - to give you the locations and then import that into say Eagle (dxf?), then place the LED's on the cross points?

I know that you could do this in CADSTAR as there is a routine to do it however am not so sure for a hobby program.

You can import dxf files into Eagle. It is in a ULP.

John

My problem with Eagle is that unless I buy the top version, the board footprint limits do not fit my needs.

I'm checking out DesignSpark. I know you can import .dxf files there, so that may work.

Does it have an IDF interface?

Yes it does.

Create your basic layout, transfer to solid works using IDF, place the components, transfer component positions back again using IDF.
Or use DXF and snap functions in PCB123.

or DesignSpark PCB. **broken link removed**

Or use DXF and snap functions in PCB123.
I tried making a pattern in Soliworks and saving as a DXF, then importing it to PCB123, but I got nothing. None of the drawing points or lines showed up in PCB123, even though I got no errors.

- - - Updated - - -

or DesignSpark PCB. **broken link removed**
I stated above that I was looking at this, but thanks.

I think I am going to try this. I was trying to stay with PCB123 because I plan on ordering my boards through Sunstone, but I guess I can always import my files.

I know this is an old post now, but I created a fairly complicated board outline (slots avoiding pillars, sloping sides, extensions for connector support) in the free DesignSpark Mechanical and exported it as a DXF to DesignSpark PCB and it worked without any issues (with the units correctly matched!).

I'll have to check that out. I have a real need to be able to precisely lay out my components, and include specific slots. Being able to start it in the mechanical drawing and move it into the PCB will be very helpful.

Being summer, these type of projects don't get a lot of my attention, but I have recently received a 3D printing of part of my project, and I am anxious to get the PCB done and test the whole thing.

I have designed a digital display which will be fully RGB, and what I'm doing is using 0805 RGB LEDs and a plastic shroud which will snap onto the board to create the pattern. I will be filling the spaces of the 3D printed shroud with a difusing epoxy similar to what's in a typical 7-segment display, so I'm anticipating pleasing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back