Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC on a single AA battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayton Burke

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max1724 with power supply

Is is possible/practical to run a regular (non-low voltage) PIC on a single AA battey? I have an application for which I'd like to use an 18F252. The application itself will have very low power draw.

Is there a way I can power this with a single AA? Are there 1.5 to 5 volt DC-DC converters?

-Clayton

st st5r battery

Depending on budget for your design you could use ST ST5R.
**broken link removed**
also have alook at Ricoh website as they also do micropower step-up converters.

Regards
NTFreak

replace tps61016

Have a look at www.maxim-ic.com

MAX1565
they have several others, are really good..

Take a look at DC/DC Boost Converters from TI, e.g. TPS6101x (**broken link removed**) or the new TPS6102x (**broken link removed**). These device are ideal for powering a uC with a single cell because they have a very good efficiency.

By,
cube007

Why not use a AA size lithium battery which gives out 3.6 V?

JJ

the cost of a lithium battery is many times the cost of a regular battery.

You can use the MAX1724 switched mode power supply from Maxim. It is cheap, small and you´ll need to add only a small external inductor and a filter capacitor to have a complete regulated power supply. Probably the capacitors you are using for decoupling could replace the one needed by the switcher. It works down to 0.9V has good efficiency. Self consumption is the lowest I`ve ever seen for this kind of application.

h**p://elm-chan.org/works/cmc/report.html
Digital Capacitance Meter
base on avr 90s2313 and DC-DC converter from one AA type battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.