Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC final year project

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgonnabefrank

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I will be starting a final year project in September. I want to do it using a PIC microcontroller and so I am coming up with ideas at the moment of what I want the microcontroller to do. But for every suggestion I get I ask myself will there be enough substance to get a decent mark. What I am looking for is a report just to use as a point of reference at the depth and amount of work that will have to be done. So far I have not found any.
Thanks in advance

I have been looking into motor control. I am a doing engineering, one of my ideas was to use the motor to control the flow in a heat exchanger by monitoring the outlet temperature with a sensor and to have the microcontroller adjust the flow to a desired temperature.
At the moment this is only an idea and I'm not even sure if the college has a heat exchanger.
At the college we have used a PICDEM demo board with a PIC16F917 but I have seen a lecturer fiddling with a PICDEM MC LV Development Board, so I would imagine i could easily get my hands on them.

the PICDEM MC LV Development Board looks a good start as it designed for motor control
**broken link removed**

I would use the dsPIC30F3010 (supplied with the board) which has many facilities which support motor control - take a look at the application notes on the following page
dsPIC30F3010

you then either use the board for your project or move on to build your own

I assume you would program in C

I assume you would program in C
So far I have not looked into it. I have just used assembler language with MPLAB.

Design and built an infant apnea monitor
Sounds like a good idea but I remember 2 or 3 years ago there was the exact same type of project done by another student, thanks for the idea though.

well... Embedded projects from around the web maybe giving you an idea...
Thanks for the link, it will definately broaden my scope.

I still haven't found any reports which is my main concern at the moment. Any ideas??

I still haven't found any reports which is my main concern at the moment. Any ideas??

Why do you need reports? You should be able figure out a problem to solve, find/implement a solution, and write it up on your own.

As I remember, if you showed that you had a solid design process and methodology, the circuit/system functioning properly was not a requirement. I remember several groups in my senior design class that failed at the end, but because they had a good design process, good concept for the solution, and an analysis of why it failed/what could be done to improve it... and could communicate that at the end of the class, they passed (with high marks, too).

Why do you need reports? You should be able figure out a problem to solve, find/implement a solution, and write it up on your own.
I want to have a look at reports so I can pick a suitable project not to plagarise. My project will take up most of my time for final year and is worth a quarter of my final grade. Because of this I want to choose one that has substance and is complex but at the same time somewhat achieveable. The main reason I am looking for a report to to see the amount of work and to give me some kind of idea on the timescale of events that will occur.

what level is the project? e.g. undergraduate, postgraduate ? the requirements for a good mark varies

what level is the project? e.g. undergraduate, postgraduate ? the requirements for a good mark varies
It will be an undergraduate project for an honours degree in mechanical engineering

in general, to achieve a high mark in an undergraduate final year honours degree project is not simply a question of writing a program to solve a problem or getting some electronics working. I would expect an evaluation of alternative technologies for implementing the project aims.
For example, the PICDEM MC LV Development Board for motor control supports the PIC18 and dsPIC30 microcontrollers
**broken link removed**

I would expect prototype systems to be implemented and evaluated using both microcontrollers. A microcontroller would then be selected using some criteria (specified during the analysis and design stage) and used to implement the final working system. In the project report other microcontrollers could also be evaluated against the criteria.

It is worth asking your project supervisor what they expect for high marks!

I would suggest you learn the C programming language it will give you a wider choice of projects..

can anyone give some idea what is the best topic for final year project using pic

for mechanical engineering, a robotics project would be very useful and relevant.

But I suppose many of your co-students would have thought of that.

A CAD/CAM related design tools such as a 3D profiler or scanner for scanning objects in 3D.

A PC based XY plotter/marker for drawing shapes/lines on a sheet of metal may also useful.

However,u need to learn the basic of pic connection first. (if you dosnt not know yet).
this the the link..
**broken link removed**

However,u need to learn the basic of pic connection first. (if you dosnt not know yet).
this the the link..

Not really...you can use the Microstick development board for doing some basic stuff. The 16bit development system eliminates the need for a programmer or a debugger, learning the C language may be a bit steep, but I think it should not be difficult.

I think even an arduino based project should qualify as an embedded system project.

To the OP.

Is it compulsory to develop on 8 bit mcus ?? Can a development board be used instead...I don't see the point of buying a programmer just for a project.
Check with your instructor if Arduino based system could be used instead....

I suggest you google for Arduino, Microstick, visit the Arduino and Microchip sites and make sense of what they are offering..

Have you done any electronics and software development before ??? Do they teach you these things in Mechanical Engineering course ??

dear arbj
have you used Microstick dev board.
I have purchased it.
I am getting problems in starting it.
MPLAB IDE load the examples from microchip sites but does not build it.
some tool location error displayed.
Can you help me.
Thanks in advace.

used the Microstick without problems

what tool does it say is missing?

So long as you have downloaded and installed MPLAB and the C30 compiler for the PIC24 it should be Ok.
even if the tool location has changed from the original project MPLAB should find the new location of the compiler and you just accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.