Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC and Modem interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack// ani

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

Is there any link/tutorials where I can learn who to interface PIC uC with a modem, so that I can dial a number and hook it up when it rings.

Thanks

No there is none, but you can search this section of edaboard and you will find the stuffs you need so that you can interface a microcontroller to a Modem.

Hi,

Maybe i can help, but i need more info. What type of modem you are going to interface? Is it a simple MODEM or and IC or a modem that you have in your PC with PCI interface?

Well it is a external 14.4kpbs modem with RS232 interface. It is written that is support V.21/V.22/V.22bis/V.32/V.32bis/V.34
Can you please help me further?

Hi,

Very simple then:
  1. Use a RS-232 converter to convert your signels from TTL to RS-232 level
  2. You can also not use step 1 by opening the case and connecting wire between the PIC and the other controler inside the mode. I would use step 1 because then you can change the modem to any other external one with very little time to fix the code if need to.
  3. Use AT Command set to set and use the modem. You can start by using this command from your PC with any terminal program. After you saw that you have everything working, write the code in the PIC.
  4. Use another converter to "listen" to the RS-232 port. this will help you to debug the command that you are sending from the MCU to your modem.
  5. If anything gows wrong, you can always go back to the PC to check if the commands you wrote are working or not...
Thats all. More information you can find out in another poset that we talked about here, in this board. Look towareds the end, there are some files you can download. Here is the link:

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Check this link:

Btw, set your modem to autoanswer, after the handshake all will be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.