Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Impedance calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishrashashi

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm looking for a tool, which can calculate impdance for all the nets on board. Presently, I'm using allegro16.3 for design. I need to verify all signals impedance. I can do it manually but it consumes time. I need a tool... Plz help.

Thanks Loosesome,
But I dnt have hyperlynx tool. As per my knowledge, Hyperlynx is for SI analysis and it needs IBIS models to veryfy nets. It is difficult to get all components ibis model .
currently I'm doing it manually

Hi,
Just Try "Saturn PCB Design" tool (FreeWare). as i think it can do.

Hyperlinks can do all the things you asked. But unfortunately it is a very expensive tool.
I thought Cadence does have a tool as well?! May not come with Allegro.
You should look for free tools !!

Hi,
Just Try "Saturn PCB Design" tool (FreeWare). as i think it can do.

I'hv already checked on Saturn PCB Design tool. It checks a trace layer wise. Stripline and microstriplines are calculated individually. My problem is to calculate overall impedance (independent of layer stackup topologies). If a net has 4 microstripline and 3 stripline of different impedances for the same net, then what will be the actual impedance of the net ?

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Hyperlinks can do all the things you asked. But unfortunately it is a very expensive tool.
I thought Cadence does have a tool as well?! May not come with Allegro.
You should look for free tools !!

Ya, I checked allegro. it doesn't has the tool I'm looking for. Please tell me the Cadence tool name for impedance calculator if you know.

! each line will have its own impedance as seen by the signal wavefront as the signal propogates down the line...What do you want to achieve?

Hi Marce,
I have to make report for 4 different data bytes DDR3, to make sure that each signal bit trace has same impedance. Manually calculation is bit tough...

Thanks Marc, even Loosesome also has suggested for the same. I'll try to get suggested signal intigrity tool.

I'hv already checked on Saturn PCB Design tool. It checks a trace layer wise. Stripline and microstriplines are calculated individually. My problem is to calculate overall impedance (independent of layer stackup topologies). If a net has 4 microstripline and 3 stripline of different impedances for the same net, then what will be the actual impedance of the net ?

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Ya, I checked allegro. it doesn't has the tool I'm looking for. Please tell me the Cadence tool name for impedance calculator if you know.

Hi Marce,
I have to make report for 4 different data bytes DDR3, to make sure that each signal bit trace has same impedance. Manually calculation is bit tough...

Hi,
I think you cannot get the average impedance result from a line that has 4 microstrip & 3 stripline. Cadence will display it separately, you can open the SigXplor on Cadence. You will get the value separately on each segment.
If you drawing a system like that, I think you just have to draw it identically. Measure just one line and copy it for other line. In high speed you have to check the trace length also.. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back