Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcb green coating at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasishah001

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
salam

I wanted to know what is the green color coating that is done on the PCB called as? Is it to prevent oxidation of copper??

I have etched my own PCBs using toner transfer method.Is it really necessary to apply the green coating on the exposed copper?
I will use silicon layer so its enough or not??

Thanks.

salam

I wanted to know what is the green color coating that is done on the PCB called as? Is it to prevent oxidation of copper??

I have etched my own PCBs using toner transfer method.Is it really necessary to apply the green coating on the exposed copper?
I will use silicon layer so its enough or not??

Thanks.

Yes that green is PCB protecting and isolating layer. This protect PCB tacks from oxidating, and from some other influence on PCB, such as various chemicals.

Is it really necessary to apply the green coating on the exposed copper?
It depends. For a home project, the layer is not essential. In an inside (home) environment, I have old home-etched PCBs (with relatively fine tracks for a home PCB -
less than 40mil) that are still functioning after 10 years with no layer or coating whatsoever, although the copper is discolored now.

The green thing is solder mask https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder_mask
Nobody usually use solder mask at home. But it possible. Try to find "film solder mask".

Yes, can be done at home, but I find that is better to protect whole PCB with parts together (SMD). There is no problems if I need to remove or change some parts, and with that I get better protection of PCB and parts.

;-)

- - - Updated - - -

http://retromaster.wordpress.com/pcb-making/

ufe-top-pre-assembly.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gerold-online.de/index.php/uc-projekte/loetstopp/

It is called "solder mask" and the main purpose is to keep solder where they belong during SMT reflow process.
Without solder mask, the solder will spread and flow away all over the copper and either create shorts or open solder joints (insufficient solder) during the SMT reflow process.

The solder mask is not required for manual hand soldering process (home builds).
If you want to prevent the bare copper from oxidizing, just spray a couple layers of thin coats of clear lacquer once the project is completed.

bt how can i apply splder mask at home, anybody can give me detail process and please it should be easy....;-)
nd can i use silicon on solding ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back