Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Editor Silk Screen Solid Shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbss

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way to designate a shape as filled in PCB Editor (16.3) for the silk screen?

Simple example: the circle marking pin 1 on a SOIC component should be a filled circle. If I add a "filled circle" on the silk screen layer, nothing shows up when I run the silk screen generator and then generate artwork. If I add a shape with a finite linewidth (i.e., 5), the circle is hollow, and I can't seem to move it in the schematic. Meaning, if a circle is placed on a generic SOIC8 footprint, but on a particular board I want to move the dot a few mils, I can't seem to move it without moving the component (in the board file). I suppose I could have decreasing concentric circles with wide width to simulate a filled circle, but it seems like there should be a better way.

More complex example: I have drawn a ESD symbol and saved as a dxf. I then successfully imported it into the design. I can place it on my board, but it is always just the outline -- I can't seem to fill the shape in, even if it is filled in in the dxf file.

I am using Allegro 15.7.
Here I use "circular Sahpe" for pin1 indicator in silk screen. and in shape fill property it is 'static solid' .
it is working for me with uot issues.
Regarding the DXF I also face some issues like unfilled shape,missing texts etc.

Problem solved. If anyone else runs into this, this is what I found works:

Apparently, the auto silk generator only recognizes lines, arcs, and text. It does not recognize shapes. Before, I was only putting MANUFACTURING/AUTOSILK_TOP on my silk screen artwork file. If I add PACKAGE GEOMETRY/SILKSCREEN_TOP, which has the pin 1 designating circles, they also appear in the artwork.

Interestingly, in the more complex example I mentioned above, somehow, when I imported the dxf file, it must have put "lines" all around my custom ESD symbol. Then, the auto silk generator recognized the outline, and put it in the AUTOSILK_TOP layer. However, it did not recognize the fill. If I add the BOARD GEOMETRY/SILKSCREEN_TOP layer (which has the symbol, fill and all), I get a filled shape in the artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back