Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

patch antenna design using hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

manojram6789

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends,
i am involved in a project to design patch antennas of various dimensions using HFSS and analyse them. It would be most helpful if any of you have any material explaining the design of various patches.

Especially circular, triangular etc. Most materials on the net are not free.....

i think you can find one in the HFSS help book.....

it might have a design on patch......

if you dont find it...letme know.....i will upload it for u

first of all, thank you sir for your reply and willingness to help....

if you have the help book for hfss 11 plz upload it, i think i have it for 10 but i am using version 11.....

we have proceeded by trying shapes such as square, triangle, circle etc. However, there is one problem. No clear formulae are available for calculation of dimensions of patches....

My question is this:
If frequency of operation, dielectric thickness (height) and epsilon value of that dielectric is given, would i be able to find the lengths and widths of patch, quarter wave transformer, feed and waveport?

Can you give the related formulae?

the quarter wave transformer is used for impedance matching between feed and patch

this would be most helpful to our project. Thanks.

Hi manojram6789,

Please find the HFSS v11 tutorial as requested, compare to the v10 it doesn't have too much difference though.

Regarding the formula to calculate the patch dimension (rectangular, triangular or circular), you could find the mathematical formula almost in every antenna book which explain microstrip antenna.

However if you just want to find its dimension you could use many em calculator software. If it is a rectangular patch, you could refer to this site for instance.
Code:
www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php

manojram6789

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks for uploading the guide sir.

i have some formulae but have not checked its correctness.

in the calculator only patch dimensions are available. i need qw transformer, substrate thickness, feedline also.

and calculators wont help because i have to submit the formulae behind everything in the report. i am still searching.....

so if you can find them, plz post it.... thanks a lot

look the other guy has guided you very well .....even i did not have the HFSS 11 book and you have fine from him.....

You must find all the formulaes in Pozar book on microwaves or Belinis book on antennas.......

this is not at all a big deal..... if you have lengths and material properties in hand.....then to model the strucute in HFSS is not an issue any more....even when you do the practice of Patch antenna from HFSS halp books......you will learn more...

I would strongly suggest you to follow the HFSS Book Example on patches......
and then u can put your dimentions to it....

Regarding the feed line....it is not at all an issue.....You can use the waveport to excite the patch, which is also meioned in the book example....

I think you must do that first....

regadrs

hi friends,
i have designed a patch antenna in ansoft hfss
Iam new to this topic and took me a while to design the antenna..
now i dont know how to convert this to an orcad file..
or how to convert this antenna into a circuit..
please help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back