Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Patch Antenna radiation pattern acts weird with substrate length and width

doenisz

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, all,

I'm learning HFSS and started with a simple patch antenna simulation designed for 10GHz. I used Balanis' dimensions (W=10mm, L=7.5mm) on a 31mil Rogers RO4350 substrate, extending it more than λ/4 beyond the patch (Wsub=Lsub=30mm). There is a ground plane underneath, and I seeded the radiation boxes with lambda/10 length.

Initially, I used radiation boundaries, expecting the highest gain at θ=0, but the results were different than anticipated, following this weird shape:

r/rfelectronics - HFSS Patch Antenna Simulation - Please help me debug
Single Patch - radiation boundary, Wsub = Lsub = 30mm

Then I found out that radiation boundary does not perform very well at large angle incidences and PML is preferred for antennas, so I changed all the radiation boundaries to PML, following the wizard, and it improved my accuracy tremendously, even without seeding the boundaries, nor the patch itself:

Single Patch - PML boundary, Wsub = Lsub = 30mm

Next, I was curious about Wsub and Lsub, so I changed them to 30mm, and to my surprise, the results are not good.

Single Patch - PML boundary, Wsub = Lsub = 60mm

Now, my question is, why am I getting result? Is it a numerical error, or something that we would physically expect (i.e., is HFSS correct in giving me this result)? I feel like if I make more adaptive passes, it will converge to the correct result above?

Please help me with this.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back