Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

parallel port interface with DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raheel

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I need to have a setup / circuit for DC motor interfacing with LPT (parallell) port and control it thru my program. I have almost all the basic
knowledge of LED interfacing with parallel and serial port.

But, in case of motor, i know that we should have some circuit between motor and port interface that will amplify the port ouput to provide suitable
current for motor. Now, how can I make that circuit (e.g. amplifier) and what should should be the correct pin configuration to make it possible..... i need to know all these things.

Please must mention the exact components and their details too. Note that I am talking about simple dc motor used in toys (i.e. remote control or battery operated cars), its not a stepper motor or anything like that.

I need some serious solutions as I will extend this project to control the direction of revolution of motor and speed thru my program. But this is a
future intention, right now I am concentrating to design the circuit for amplification of current for my motor. I hope someone out there will help me.

I am a new bee in electronics stuff, so please if someone of you send a basic circuit diagram, it will help me alot.

Will wait for your responses.

Raheel.

Hi Raheel,

First of all, if you want to make a speed control, you will need to implement the closed loop control. Take a look on the LM628/629 digital PID controller from National Semicoductor. There is a complite cirquit diagram in the datasheet, including the controller and the power stage. You could easy interface this circuit to the LPT. I suggest you to use the LM629 becouse it requers a single power supply for two-directional operation.

yev15 said:
Hi Raheel,

First of all, if you want to make a speed control, you will need to implement the closed loop control. Take a look on the LM628/629 digital PID controller from National Semicoductor. There is a complite cirquit diagram in the datasheet, including the controller and the power stage. You could easy interface this circuit to the LPT. I suggest you to use the LM629 becouse it requers a single power supply for two-directional operation.

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually speed control is my future intention, i am not as expert as you are in this field. However, i know all the basics about interfacing. I download datasheet for LM629 and studied the figure-12 in it. It is really helpful for me, but right now I just want to concentrate on basic interfacing thru parallel port and wanna provide controlled keyboard input (high and low) to bits in order to start / stop my motor. This way, I will also be able to learn advance concepts of interfacing. So, with reference to figure-12, is it possible to remove LM629 controller from that circuit and directly connect DAC to parallel port. I will really appreciate your help in this regard and complete my project with dare. :D .

will wait for ur feedback.

1 Use parallel port for dac converter to analogy signal,then use this signal to control adjust chip for dc motor
2 Use parrallel port to generate pwm signal for dc motor.

Yes, you can use the D/A and the analog cirquit from the figure 12. I think that the LM12 is discontinued, so you need to replace it by another power amplifier.

Good luck!

yev15 said:
Yes, you can use the D/A and the analog cirquit from the figure 12. I think that the LM12 is discontinued, so you need to replace it by another power amplifier.

Good luck!

Thanks. I will soon change the circuit diagram of figure-12 and will send to you people in this same thread to double check it. Please keep an eye on this thread, so that communication remains open. Thanks again to be with me.
:)

you want to make a speed control, you will need to implement the closed loop control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back