Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] P-mosfet driving a load

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameslee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, i have one question in mind regarding P-mosfet,

I want to provide reverse polarity of input supply such as the simply schematic i attached.
However the datasheet usually specified Id current that is flowing from source to drain.
But my case is from drain to source instead. I did experiment on a breadboard and it work to provide reverse polarity of input supply, but my worry is whether it can carry high current without damage.

:smile: the question in my mind is, does P-mosfet able to carry the same maximum current(0.75A @ 25C) in reverse direction?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P-mosfet.JPG
    P-mosfet.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 82

When the drain has a higher voltage compared to the source then the internal diode of the mosfet is constantly on and the current flows through it, you can't use it this way.

Alex

Yes indeed, it is meant to be on all time when the polarity of Vin is correct, and off when Vin is reversed.

But if i operate the mosfet in this fashion, can it still take 0.75A?

The parameter is described in the datasheet in the REVERSE DIODE LIMITING VALUES AND CHARACTERISTICS section

IDR Continuous reverse drain current Ta = 25 ˚C -0.75A

Last edited:

Thanks Alexan, I miss out that parameter in datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.