Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto-isolator/ optocoupler for electric isolation in IC design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imrankhanPNU

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.

I came across while reading the opto-isolator technique used for electric isolation in embedded systems/ Integrated Circuits design that " Opto-isolator is not recommended for electric isolation in power applications IC's mainly due to its dV/dt sensitivity". So I would like to know:

1)How dV/dt sensitivity affects isolation?

2)Is dV/dt sensitivity the only reason to avoid optocoupler especially in power application IC/embedded systems?

3)Are there other limitations in optocoupler which can compel one to chose other isolation techniques?

Looking forward to your suggestions and guidance. Thanks.

Is dV/dT the consideration for a Triac output optocoupler ? Eg. false triggering it ?

Are you trying to transfer across interface analog data or digital or switching power loads ?

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

Regarding question 3, I seem to recollect in one or two other threads that experienced, knowledgable members of this forum said that optocouplers degrade over time. Maybe someone else could confirm or deny that and explain why, if that's the case.

Has to do with LED performance over time, simply google "optocoupler lifetime",
several articles, ap notes on the topic.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back