Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opti-triac for low voltage AC

Danlee

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all, I've been reading an interesting thread re opto triac for AC switching.
I wonder if betwix or others can help me as this is not my subject.

I wish to switch a low-voltage AC signal to ground - just a volt or two pk-pk.
Very low current too, just a few mA max, so 'hold current' whatever that means may be significant too.
The opto triac idea looks good, but I am not sure they are suited to such low voltages (and currents).
Maybe someone can suggest a suitable device.
It needs to be fast, so relays are not suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

So we know the "load" is AC, 2Vpp, a few mA
--> What AC frequency?

We know nothing about the "control" side.
--> So tell us V and I capabilities of the control side.

--> For "fast" switching we need to know numbers.

The "opto" in opto triac means "isolated".
--> What is the voltage of isolation you need?

Generally speaking a triac as well as an opto-triac is not very well suited for low voltage and low current.

A bit more information about the whole project would be helpful to give suitable advice.
And as always: a sketch says more then a lot of words.

Klaus

Nice to be mentioned in dispatches!

The other point Klaus didn't mention but is relevant at low voltages is how 'closed' the switch has to be. A triac will still drop around 0.6V when fully conducting and that could be significant. There are other possibilities that might work but more information on your application and the voltage/current/speed are needed to give better guidance.

Brian.

Hello all,
The frequency is low - 80Hz
For the control side, we have a 3v3 logic signal, but have +/-10v available at some power, so could drive e.g. 10mA if required.
Switching in a few 10s of uS would be in the order I am looking at.
I don't need any isolation, I just thought the opto controlled device would be easier to interface with.
A 0.6 offset would be reasonably significant, as the unswitched signal is only a few volts to start with.
I am also considering using an analogue switch to do this which might be more suitable - lower offset? and we have the power rails to allow it to switch the voltage range =/- a few volts.

The application is a system we use to measure the resistance of some fluid that passes through a pipe - one 'electrode' having the AC signal on it, the other being GND - and I want to connect and disconnect that ground to check if there is a resistance to a different fixed GND.

Hi,

or a simple analog switch. Like good old DG201 ...
But there are many many more others.
Just use the selection guide of your electronics distributor.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: