Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on All-Digital PLL design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitgrace

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All :
Does any have experience about ALL digital PLL design ? How about the jitter ?
If the DPLL apply in RF system ? Is it ok ? Any comment ?

digital pll

you can read papers written by TI

digital receiver pll

Dear Sir :
I have read it, Does any matlab demo files ??

digital pll sampling rate

dpll is the best of all spll,adpll.apll while design point of view its having high q, low phase noise if u consider lc vco rather than other vco

dpll adpll the best

Hello,

To my opinion, compared with an analog PLL, a DPLL in general has very high jitter. Unless you don't add DDS clock generators (they are actually hybrid analog/digital systems) to digital PLL category.

Regards,
Frank

adpll matlab

NO

The jitter could be lower than the analog phase noise contributions of the PLL components. That is also demonstrated by TI!

The key is the digital VCO control and the digital phase detector. The VCO control is not easy to make monotonic and switching spurious noise free and the conversion from time differences to digital data is also difficult.

The question is: does the overall effort of a pure digital result in a more economic chip realization. Both form NRE and silicon area.

all digital pll texas instruments

It could be that we have different defintions of a digital PLL. In my understanding, a digital PLL works in a discrete time scale, with an output clocked at discrete times. This may look fine in this discrete world, but not when e. g. sampling an analog signal that is unrelated to this time domain. Can you give a reference to one of the said TI papers.

Re: All Digital PLL

Sorry I have read many papers from TI and seen conference presentations over years. Have many magazines here but did not select one. Do it tomorrow.

The "All-Digital-PLL" is still time-discrete! What change in the concept is that the path phase-difference -> vco-frequency gets value-discrete. So first the phase difference should be converted into a digital value. The integrating property allows to exchange value resolution and time resolution. Then PI-controller is made digital and the vco is finally digital controlled. In the classical "digital PLL" (in Roland Best term) the phase is continuous.

All Digital PLL

which website have papers from TI?

Hello,

I would like to consider a simple test case. I have a high quality 100 MHz reference clock and want to generate a 54.24 MHz clock with minimum jitter for a digital receiver. I know, I can achieve this with an analog PLL or a DDS clock synthesizer (a mixed signal hybrid, that uses analog interpolation and filtering, I wouldn't regard it a digital PLL). I assume, that a digital PLL can't help in this respect. An all digital solution would set receiver sample rate to either 50 or 100 MHz, for several reasons (ADC nonlinearities, intended output data rate, whatever) this may not be suitable for my receiver.

Regards,
Frank

All Digital PLL

dpll is good as cmpre to aother pll (spll,lpll.adpll)

rfsystem said:
NO

The jitter could be lower than the analog phase noise contributions of the PLL components. That is also demonstrated by TI!

The key is the digital VCO control and the digital phase detector. The VCO control is not easy to make monotonic and switching spurious noise free and the conversion from time differences to digital data is also difficult.

The question is: does the overall effort of a pure digital result in a more economic chip realization. Both form NRE and silicon area.

Hi, do you even compare ADPLL with tranditional PLL?
Thanks.

All Digital PLL

For 45, 65 and 90nm technology, the voltage headroom is decreased. and it's more and more difficult to design ADPLL with digital core device. Beside voltage headroom, the gate-leakage is also a big problem for loop filter design. Although thick-oxide device can be used to solve the gate-leakage, but area will be suffered.
from my point of view, in terms of digital core clock generator, all digital PLL is the future.

Hi Guys! I am new to PLL design and must choose which PLL architecture to make. I have not much experience. Can u say which PLL: analog of fully digital to prefer. The Target is to make PLL for frequency synthesis in DSP microprocessor for SOI 0.35um technology. Reference frequency can vary from 10 to 20 MHz. Multipliation factor 1-15. P.S. Sorry if my English bad. It is not my primary lang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back