Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opamp by gm/Id approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitjagtap

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ugb model of opamp

hi all,
I'm trying to design a low power opamp using gm/id approach.
When i calculated gm/Id according to desired specs. I was arround 380. But normally gm/Id lies between 0 to 29 for a transistor.
I don'n know what to do with this.
Is there any method which convert(by some way) this high value of Gm/Id = 380 to some value which will be included in Current Density Plot of the transistor, so that corrosponding normalized current can be calculated from the graph.
Do u have any comment.........
Thanks...........:?:D

can you provide more infomation?
It's may because many reason:
1) subthreshold SPICE modeling accuracy
2) different scaling between Id and Gm by simulator
3) wrong scaling option setup in netlist

I don't know what you are doing but gm/Id=380 is certainly wrong. Because you can calculate 2*(1/gm/Id) which is informative for Vdsat.

I selected approx specs as---- Av=60 db,
CL=10pF, UGB=600kHz
UGB=gm1/2*pi*CL
which gives gm1= 37.699uA/V
seleceted branch current ID1=100nA
Which gives Gm/ID=37.699/100 K = 376.99.

Qslazio : I'm using TSMC 0.35 tech level 53
Else i don't think any other mistake i did in graph ploting of Gm/ID Vs ID/W.
Sutapanaki: what u r saying is correct. But does this mean that these specs cannot acheived with selected model file.
What i have in many papers that gm/Id lies in bet 0 to 28.
If during designing, people get gm/iD lets say arround 50, waht the do with this.........Need ur suggestion.

actually your current is extremely small. 1uA is normal in typical design. remember : gm / Id = 2/vdssat. When you increase gm, you need to increase Id 2.

Thanks

hi ee_ykhab
Whatever ur saying, i agree with this.
But i'm targeting for low power opamp inwhich current is the main constraint. Thus i have selected Iss=200nA. Normally i subthreshold we can achive high gain as compared to opamp operating in saturation. What i observed that, for Vgs < Vth, Gm value is arround 2 to 4uA/V, off course for some fixed w/L(L=1.4um & W=2.8um)

Current is too small,
You can simulate a simple case with diode connected MOSFET and try to get it's gm/ID vs ID curve
280 is too high and I think you should reconsider the accuracy of the model.
From my experience,Model has dicontinuity in extrmely low current condition

hi steve_guo
Why do u think that 200nAcurrent is too less for low power opamp.
I think it is well above the device leackage current. In one paper that i have seen, they have used current of 50nA in the amplifier.
What do u think.......... plz let me know.

Obviously you are trying to put too many things in the same basket for this technology.
1. Based on your Av and if you have gm*ro plots you can choose the L of your transistors.
2. I don't know exactly your topology but let's say it is just a regular diff pair and you need a gm1~40uA/v. Don't fix the current, let's see what current will be necessary. If you assume that gm1/Id~2/Vdsat and you choose Vdsat=100mV-200mV (to have good current efficiency) for the value of gm1 from above you need a current per transistor of 2uA - 4uA. Ok, 1uA if you aim at Vdsat=50mV and weak inversion. But thats about what you can get.

amitjagtap said:
I selected approx specs as---- Av=60 db,
CL=10pF, UGB=600kHz
UGB=gm1/2*pi*CL
which gives gm1= 37.699uA/V
seleceted branch current ID1=100nA
Which gives Gm/ID=37.699/100 K = 376.99.

Qslazio : I'm using TSMC 0.35 tech level 53
Else i don't think any other mistake i did in graph ploting of Gm/ID Vs ID/W.
Sutapanaki: what u r saying is correct. But does this mean that these specs cannot acheived with selected model file.
What i have in many papers that gm/Id lies in bet 0 to 28.
If during designing, people get gm/iD lets say arround 50, waht the do with this.........Need ur suggestion.

hi Sutapanaki,
I'm using simple conventional two stage opamp configaration.
I think ur correct. I should not fix the current. Up till now i was fixing current and thus selected very crucial values to get gain and UGB but still UGB is value is low as compared to selected one.
I will try by ur way, I think this will increase some power dissipation of my circuit.
Thanking you......

The main mistake that you done is selecting current before gm/id value.
You should choose gm/id value at the first (from Gm/ID vs ID/(W/L) curve). For example 22 [1/V] (weak inversion region, Vov=Vgs-Vth<50mV). Than you are able to calculate required current I=1.713uA per branch.
There are no way how make transconductance efficiency higher than process limit.
UGB=gm1/2*pi*CL - valid for single stage amplifier.
For two stage:
UGB=gm1/2*pi*CM=2*gmL/2*pi*CL (for phase margin 60deg). Choose Cm firstly, than compute gm1 and gmL, Choose Gm/ID for both parameters and calculate currents (for gm1 it's better high values ~22, for gmL - lower ~4-6). Don't forget about RHP zero e.g. use zero nulling resistor.

hi Denis mark,
First time when i calculated Gm/Id it was arround 380.
After that i selected a maximum value of Gm/Id from Gm/Id Vs Id/W plot such that the transistor will be in subthreshold. I did exactly what u said, because i found the only suitable way to deal with this problem.
For two stage u have written UGB=gm1/2*pi*CM=2*gmL/2*pi*CL
in this i know UGB=gm1/2*pi*CM,
but what is gmL?
can u plz tell me.......

Easily, transconductance of output transistor (second stage).
More correct condition UGF=gm1/2*pi*CM=2*gmL/2*pi*(CM+CL) if Cm and CL have compatible values.

Status
Not open for further replies.