Not open for further replies.

Fiann

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Simple Question

Alright, I have a plug (http://www.reuk.co.uk/OtherImages/13-amp-plug.jpg) where I wired L, N and E accordingly.

Then I have a wall socket (**broken link removed**) where I wired L, N and E accordingly as well.

What I did was I pluged in my plug into the wall socket to test for connectivity.
The E wire of my plug is successfully connected to the E wire of the wall socket.
The N wire of my plug is successfully connected to the N wire of the wall socket.

When I tested the L wire of the plug with the L wire of the socket, there does not seem to be any connectivity.

Is my socket faulty, or am I missing out on some information on sockets?

Re: Simple Question

Since the other two connections are good, you seem to be doing it correctly. I would make sure the non-functioning line was done right, no insulation stuck in the connection or something like that. But, if no error is found, you most likely have a defective part. Good luck and take no chances with safety.

Another not comletely uncommon common problem is a breakage in the cable itself: If your measurement includes a flexible cable from the plug, and it is aa old one 8already used for a longer time) there might be a breakag of copper inside the isolation - typically in a place where it is bent most, such as close to the plug. I have often cut off about 5 cm from the plug end of the cable, and re-terminated to the plug in those cases.

I am not completely familiar with the UK plugs, but isn't there a fuse as well? It should be in series with the "L" line, and if it is gone or missing, you have no connectivity.

And I want to repeat what oldeboots already said, because i is so important: Be careful with mains wiring - there are both shock and fire hazards!

Good luck!

I have also a few time encounter this problem.
And later realised that I didn't have the mains switch on,
when doing the conductivity test.
I believe the problem should be easy to troubleshoot.

For safety: Ensure your mains is off before any conductivity test.

Best Regards,
Siong Boon

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…